1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevytruck85, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

I have a 85 K-10 with a 350 in it and a POS 700R tranny what kind of bs would i be getting into if I tryed to put a th-350 or 400 in the truck?

2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

What kind of trouble are you having with the 700R4, I thought they were awesome compared to the old turbo hydro's
    The only issue's I had with them were I lost 2 governors, but they were like 10 min repairs.

3. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

You might want to look into finding an 86 or newer 700.
    They are a lot better than pre 86.
    (stronger case,valving....)

If you want a T-350/400 just find one w/t-case aleady attached. I've had real good luck getting a couple used ones from wrecked trucks.
    That way you can get everything you might need.
    (mounts,linkage,tourque converter, drive shaft..)

We have a U-Pull It yard here:
    trans = $79.00
    t-case = 60.00 all incedentals included.

Then it's a simple swap fron 700 to 350/400

I hope this helps

4. Rickco

Rickco Member

If you're thinking of just putting in a 350 or 400 it wi not mate up to the transfer case. The 700 has a different tail shaft. So get the trans/transfer cace together.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

You may also want to measure the driveshafts as well, as some transmissions are longer/shorter than others. It would suck bringing a tranny home and put it in and then come to find out your shafts are not long enough/short enough. Look for a new process 205/208 transfer case. I have heard that those models are almost bullet proof.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

wrong in a way sir. 400 has 32 spline and 350/700 have 27 spline. but you will need a 700 to 350 swap kit . it has a spacer and directions on how to swap it in and what tail shaft 350 to get so you can basicly bolt in and go. this has been done somany times i cant count them.

best combo is 400/205 but thay dont go cheep. second best and my fav is 350/205 as thay can be had just as cheep as most combos.