1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny shot??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Lil STX Ford, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Was out driving trough light snow all day, plow attached, didn't plow much at all... more just drive around day... this evening i went to plow neighbor, and truck wouldn't seem to push snow.
    Figured maybe full blade but nope... no weight.. took it out of 4x4 and pushed better with 2wd.
    Computer went Beep and trans fault OD light starts flashing...

Unhooked plow and went for lil spin... in drive 2WD seems good but feels like it hits breaks once in a while, if I drop to 1st, truck acts like it hits breaks... and does worst in 4WD mode, Bull low even worst.

Checked tranny level and ok, tranny fluids flushed 2 weeks ago..

No slippage at all , just feels like it bog's down..

Any clues on this?

4.6 automatic 2004 f-150

Tks!!

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check the sensor on the rear axle. Can't recall the name of the sensor at the moment but it will cause the what you describe to happen. You probabily knocked it loose or off.

3. Lil STX Ford

k tks will check that..

4. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

If the OD lights flashing then shes got codes, find a code reader or scan tool and see what they are, thats a good start ! If it seems bogish it could be starting off in second or you may have a more serious problem and somethings coming apart in her.

Oh and btw the sensor on the rear axle is the vehicle speed sensor and if there was a problem with it you speedo wouldn't work!! and the trans won't shift.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  5. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

hell if its under warrenty you can always try to blow er up

6. Lil STX Ford

guess codes showed gear 1 & 2 stuck or 2&3 , was told prob burnt clutches, just womdering why they didn't smell that on fluid flush 2 weeks ago lol... I still have warranty on the parts, just to see if they'll pass it...

Front end is solid, so not weight, truck has timbrens and tow package, so I'l ask if i can pull a trailor with it since it's a lot more torque required for it!!

So it's up to the smile handshack and the box of beer for good favor!!

7. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

If its warranty then great! if its not and the fluid isnt burnt then there full of crap and it just the a valve body problem......stuck 1-2 or 3-4 soleinoid????

8. Lil STX Ford

Bands are shot, cheaper to repair then get a rebuilt, 80% chance will be warranted, or will have a goodwill repair.. should be back in service tomorrow.... :)

9. Lil STX Ford

Tranny repaired, cost was 100$ & a box of coors light :)

10. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

GOOD DEAL!! wesport