1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny service?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Stinson Landscp, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

2010 Chevy 2500hd almost 50K. Dealer wants to preform a tranny service. Wondering if it worth doing being this is the second season
    of plowing. Plan is to keep this truck for a while then once paid off it will be put in the fleet.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I would have done it twice by now

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i would say yes,,what does the fluid look like, smell like??
    just remember cheap insurance now,,,or pay the price later

4. pontiacmrc1

pontiacmrc1 Junior Member

Seeing as you plow with it, I would certainly change it. Can't hurt, and it will prolong the life of your transmission.

5. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Do it the tranny gets hot when plowing. Like what they said cheep or spend a lot of $ latter.

I love my Z

6. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

thanks for the replys. its going in after the holiday week for the service.

7. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

All so get a cooler for it all so cheep and less than 100 bucks and an hour of your time

I love my Z

8. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

I have always changed the trans fluid once a year in any plow truck I have owned. I do it myself so all I'm paying for is the fluid and filter. A lot of heat gets generated from plowing so the fluid breaks down a lot quicker.

9. Luis@ NJ

Luis@ NJ Member

Quick question when you service your trans do you drain the torque converter as well?

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have mine serviced by a tranny shop- they do drain the converter because they know what the truck does in the winter- the mechanic also plows. Fluid changed every year and bands adjusted same time.

11. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

yes I do, I try to get as much as the old fluid out of the trans as possible. I even have a aftermarket deep pan on my truck that hold 8 extra quarts of fluid and a temp gauge, thats how much care I put into a trans that cost 3K to rebuild right lol

12. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

I would of done it at least twice by now. Allisons are NOT cheap to rebuild, so take care of it. the moment the fluid smells burnt, get it out. also a trans temp gauge and an aux cooler will be quite helpful in helping prolong the life.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto. Perhaps even three times by now depending on the exact usage. These 6L90 transmissions with their DexVI fluid tend to become a little fussy when not serviced often enough. Sort of like an Allison will do when you run their spin on filters way too long. They don't quit but they just don't work right either. Regular service is important.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8 extra quarts? How low does it hang?

15. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

about a inch or two lower, its a mag-hytec.