1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Got Snow, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i have a '93 f-350 with an auto overdrive (button is on the end of shifter) in the miidle of the big storm i saw drips of red fluid. when i stopped to check it out the tranny puked out about a quart of fluid (came out in between enginge/tranny)

i filled it up with more fluid and has been running ever since.

anyone know what happend? overheat? i'm interested to know what you guys think. thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sounds like it could be a front convertor seal,maybe leaking when it got hot due to plowing.I would keep an eye on it,and the fluid level and see if it gets any worse.If it continues,then look at replacing it.The trans and torque convertor must come out to get at it.It may also be a leak at the front pump,but you won't know for sure until the trans is out.

3. Erickson

Erickson Junior Member

transmission puking fluid

My '89 F350 has lost fluid on occasion after some hard work. With the recent addition of a Blizzard 810 plow it is doing it again, on a much more serious note:confused:
    I am planning on installing a tru-cool trans cooler - what size would be best?
    From Wyldman, my guess is that I should look at replacing the front convertor seal and the front pump. With reasonable to good mechanical skills can I pull the trans and do it myself?
    Last note: I have had the truck from 1993, no problems and no upgrades, avg 1,000 miles/yr.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Ive had a similar thing happen with my 1990 ford auto.When pushing back some heavy snow it would puke out about 1/2 to a quart of trans fluid.My garage determined it was coming out the vent and the cause is most likely overheating.After it would puke the fluid i would rest my truck for 20 mins fill the fluid up again and it would be fine for plowing the rest of the day(no leaking at all) Kinda odd it just happed to me again on the big storm we just had.