1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Sep 19, 2005.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I installed a rebuilt th400 from advance auto parts into my truck about a year ago. Its been good for about a month but now its starting to act up . It only does it when it gets hot enough like driving down the interstate or around town for a little while. When it go to take off it jerks and shakes the truck for about 10 yards or so. I also noticed that when i leave from work it hesitates when i first start out like its slipping then when it warms up its fine until it starts that jerking crap. I changed the fluid and filter but it didnt help. One guy said the gasket between the valve body which the valve body seemed a little loose when i changed the fluid. Another guy said it was the torque converter. The tranny has a two year warranty. what should i do? :help: Thanks for the help

2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Did you put in a new torque converter with the rebuilt tranny? It does sound like torque conv. I wouldn't swap a tranny without a new convertor. Just my opinion. I don't know about the gasket deal. When cold, does it take forever before it wants to take off?
    What year is the truck? I had a 93 that acted similar to this. It acted like an engine problem, as if it had a serious miss on the bottom. Mine ended up being a $25 electrical solenoid (probably made in China) which cost me a new tranny. The solenoid was affecting the lockup in the torque converter. Wasn't actually the torque converter, but a solenoid acting up and confusing the converter. That is why i like the older trucks! No elec parts in the tranny! Good luck.
    Best thing I can tell you is take a look at your warranty. See if they will have a mechanic hook it up, read the codes, and see if one of those solenoids is causing the torque converter to act up. It really sounds just like the problem I had. Not a mechanic, but I did go thru it just like your description.