1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DodgePlow, Aug 4, 2004.

1. DodgePlow

DodgePlow Member

Hey guys,

I got a quick question for the dodge experts. I have a 1994 Ram 2500 V10. When I start it up and put the transmission into drive it usually takes a few seconds to get going. Almost like there is no pressure in the lines. I put it in drive for a few seconds then back into park, and then into drive again and it is fine.

What is this problem? Is it a major issue?

Thanks in Advance

2. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Check the fluid level. I had problems similar to that in my 95 Dakota with the 318 and 4x4. Otherwise, Id have it checked out by the experts. I think those trucks have the electronic trans that always seem to be quite troublesome.

Tony

3. Lawrence Lawns

Lawrence Lawns Junior Member
    from PA

I agree. We have a 96 Ram and It's worse when it's started for the first time. My Father-in-law was a Dodge mechanic when he was alive and he always said the newer cars and trucks have a delayed shifting sensor that caused this. I think it's gotten better since the earlier times.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes confirm fluid level in tranny. Even old workhorse THM400's used to act the same way when they were a bit low too.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

when was the last time the filter and fluids were changed
    john

6. cm82pa

cm82pa Junior Member

Delay engagement

The Dodge Rams, Dakotas, Durangos, and even the Jeep Grand Cherokee all have the same family of transmissions. The delay you are feeling is converter drain down. Dodge realized this problem and installed a check-ball in the return cooler line to help this. The problem with that setup is that over time with heat the rubber check-ball can get stuck in the fitting itself cutting off almost all the lube to the rear planet gears in the transmission. Some transmission repair facilities know this problem so the take out the fitting and replace it with rubber cooler line. The problem is that then the converter is allowed to drain again. The best solution is to first check if you have that in there. If you do TAKE IT OUT! To solve the problem of the delay you can do two things. First when you start your vehicle put the selector in Neutral for a few seconds then into gear. Chrysler rear wheel drive units do not have converter flow in park. Or there is an after market valve that is installed into the valvebody to put charge during startup. For info e-mail me and I will contact you about how to have this done. REMEMBER Always check Chrysler rear wheel drive units in Neutral! My e-mail is mills106@hotmail.com

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All of mine act that way also, especially after they have been sitting for awhile. I just run them in N for a second so the converter can fill up, then they work fine.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

As long as you run them to fill the converter before driving your ok. The factory part (drainback valve) is only available with the hard line. Check out your truck for recalls- the connectors were melting so Dodge recalled most of them and redesigned the lines those not affected by the recall require other special adaptort to change the lines. Damn expensive issue- did mine 2-3 years ago.

Just dropped $700 to have all the tranny hard lines changed darn rust.