1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny question-Ford E4od

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brian Young, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My 94 F150 started hanging up in 2nd gear, it just brought the revs up a little (but was not slipping) then it would shift into 3rd with no problems. Also its been taking a second or two to go from drive to reverse when plowing (like it was low on fluid). I baby the hell out of this thing so abuse I don't think is a cause of what ever the problem is. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences. Thanks in advance. Oh, p.s. the tranny was rebuilt about 4 -5 yrs ago from a very good local rebuild company.

2. Chuckie

Chuckie Member
    from PA

Have to Love those Ford trannies

First and foremost.....make sure you have a cooler for that trans. I have a 92 f250 HD with 200000 miles on it. Probably 175000 of those miles pulling a trailor or pushing snow. I am sad to say that the trans that is in there now is trans number 7 for me. The last one I put in was a Jasper with there cooler just so I could get the 3 year 75k warranty with it................so far , so good, but this is winter number three with it. I flush the fluid several times a year now. We will see how it goes.
    As for your problem, two of the times mine had blown, it seems there is the computer on the outside somewhere that actually is telling the trans when to shift, that computer was bad. Or it could have just been ford blowing smoke up my butt. Either way, this is not something to ignore. Once i took it in before it was smoked and it needed to be rebuilt. The other time I rode out the problem and things got so hot the gears welded themselves together when I shut er down. All I know is that I will have a few grand sitting in the bank this winter just in case she blows. Good luck, maybe you can get some feedback from some of the mechanically inclined members.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

get it checked out- E4od is a relativly weak tranny in and of itself- common rebuild. Probabily the valve body sticking or the govenor sticking, either can result in major disaster.