1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motoman69X@aol.com, May 12, 2002.

1. Motoman69X@aol.com

Motoman69X@aol.com Member

OK I go down the road, and my 700r4 wont shift from 1st gear, the Tranny makes no noise at all, but the fluild is burnt. But when I put touqe on the trany / Brake Lock - I can smoke the tires with no slip at all ? Whats the deal :confused:

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Your governor gear snapped off,more than likely.go under the truck,look up at the trans,near the rear of the tranny where it bolts to the T-case,on the drivers side,there is a 3" round metal cap.This cap is the governor gear cover,put a small drain pan under the spot,remove the cover with a pry bar or 2,then reach in ,and pull out the governor assy,It will pull right out,you then can look at the plastic gear,it will likely be stripped in one spot,take it to a Gm dealer,or a parts store/tranny shop,get a new gear,and put it on.if the gear is good,try to swap a governor out of anything with a 700r4 or TH350 in it.Just to try it out,if it works get a new governor,if not take it to a trans shop.It is not that hard to do this yourself,just remember when your done it top off the tranny fluid,you usually only lose a pint of so.E mail me of you need more help. j dimartino@hvc.rr.com