1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by A&M Snowplowing, Dec 27, 2005.

1. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

Yesterday was the first day i got to plow with the dodge that i just bought. It ran nice all day until i got to a red light. When the light turned green i went to go and the RPM's flew up to 3100 and it started to move but i could not get it into 2nd gear. Ever since then it wont go above first. WHAT HAPPENED. Please help me.

2. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

hello thanks for joining the dodge bad trans club mine did the same thing 2000.00 later and it fixed :realmad:

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like every other tranny problem Dodge has. Check the truck repair forum; someone had the same problem. Check what it does with the overdrive on and off. Good luck with the fix!

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

on the 96? is it your first one? how Meany Miles?:dizzy:
    Thats good all most 9yr for a tranny of that vintage.on a plow truck.
    I replaced the one in my 98 at 63k. and the one in the 01 at 61k.
    Welcome to the Bad Tranny club:waving:

5. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Mostly likely a blown tranny-, but it could just be a Govenor solenoid.. but not likely. Before you go get a reman or a have it rebuilt. Check Ebay under tranmission -i was looking the other day and saw you could get a pretty good after market remand tranny for like 800$+shipping and most transmission shops would do a sawp for the 2-300 hundred bucks. might be the cheapest option.. after you get it fixed have the fluid changed like every 500-1000 miles.

6. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

it just hit 135,000 when trans went south:cry:

7. Stark_Enterprises

LOL Serioulsly Man i know it!! I think everyones has gone. My 02 went at 46,000 mi. but mine cost 105.00 To fix----(under the powertrain warrenty). Next time it goes im going to have a custom DTT Trans from mass diesel installed that will be made for plowing and power upgrades.

8. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

i put an upgrade kit on it cost about400.00 buck but it has saved me a lot of money i can cool down trans and dont have to have it in gear :nod: :rolleyes:i could take some pics of it and post for you guy if you like :drinkup:

9. Stark_Enterprises

please do. is your 1 ton a Cummins or gasser?

10. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

:cry: i wish it was cummins but it is a gasser and let me tell you it drinks the gas i will get pic asap

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thats not bad for a plow truck. most go a lot sooner.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, it sounds like you blew the power to the tranny control.

I speak from experiance here!

The tranny is electrically controlled (47RE) and uses 2 solinoids to shift- when no power is sent to the solinoids the tranny goes into "limp mode"- which is 2nd gear only (direct drive gear reduction- no bands or clutched engaged) and no O/D.

This can be caused by many things- a bad solinoid, a blown fuseable link (under the hood in the relay box), a bad harness, or worse.

Here's what happened to mine- about 115K miles I was driving around a corner up a hill and all the lights in the dash came on- tranny shuddered and downshifted- rpm's soared. I pulled over popped the hood and looked for trouble- saw nothing. engine till running I crawled home- 2 mile away in 2nd gear. (the high rpm is because of the stall speed- in order to move the truck in 2nd gear from a stop)

I checked all the fuses and links- found the fuseable link was blown- bad sign- I figured it would not blow unless there was a reason. dealer only piece those links too.

got a new one Mon morning and ran a meter in line for current draw. Then smoke, smoke and more smoke under the hood.

Here's the damage- one of the spring retainers for a pressure pop-off valve in the valve body (tranny) snapped (common problem) causing shifting trouble- pressue related. The broken metal clip happened to land across the contacts for th main power feeds for the governor relay and shorted them blowing the fusable link. (creating limp mode- no pop-off valve also made it shift different than if it just lost the governor).
    The short took out the govorner sol, the O/D sol, and burned- vaproized the signal pin in the connector from the tranny harness to the main harness. and started a fire in the harness.

Insurance co fought and failed to cover it- still working on fighting them. They replaced the solinoids, harness, pop-off spring and clip, and had to salvage a master wiring harness plug off another junk yard truck (in another state- couldn;t find one suitable around here) to splice in since the main harness is $1600 cost and factory order only (4-6 weeks delivery time) plus labor to change it.

Probabily NOT mechanical, but probabily a solinoid or in that circuit. CAN be expensive but not necessarily especially if you have a GOOD SHOP who actually knows Dodge trannys look at it first.
    NOT LIKELY in need of a rebuild for this, not an upgrade kit, or anything else like that. It's a common CTD related problem and V10 related problem.

Check out Dodgeram.org discussion boards, and TDR discussion boards for more info.

Have that tranny pan dropped and looked at BEFORE you decide to replace the tranny.

13. A&M Snowplowing

the truck has about 139,000 on it so i guess i have to say thats not bad but all the truck was used for was a daily driver so i bought it to plow with it. The truck never had a problem shifting or no hard shifts. I just went. I have a hard time to believe that one min it working fine and the next its blown up from just sitting there.

14. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

The people you bought it from probably knew the tranny was slipping, that's why they dumped the truck.

I had a '95 1/2 with 153k on it when we put a new tranny in because it started slipping. Not all the time, but once in a while. It was a plow truck too, with an 8' Western.

Other than that, I've never had tranny troubles with my Dodges, but then again I usually don't keep a truck over 100k miles either.

Those 100k miles though, it's either got a trailer on the back or a plow on the front, soooo.... ?????

I was nice enough to rebuild the tranny before I sold the truck. Sounds to me like maybe you weren't so lucky.

15. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Its a common problem with 94-01(02 2500) Rams. The tranny's would run great and then one day start having a bunch of issues. I was wondering, Does the Diesel Tranny's act the same way or have they been more reliable? My 02 1500 w/4.7 auto has about 92,000 miles on it and when I bought it she had 87k and had pulled a gooseneck trailer most its life. It shifts perfect and has no issues-knock on wood.

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The diesel tranny is the major problem child in the Dodge line- up to 01 it was a 47RE, 01+ it is a 48RE which is better but just a beefed 47RE. It's the same as the V10 uses, but it's issue is it's mating to the diesel engine.

From what I have heard the newer trucks are very much improved in that area.

17. A&M Snowplowing

More Fun

Well i took the truck last night for a drive and it shifted fine for the first few start ups and then it did the same thing again. When i drove it down to the shop today i went to back it into the spot and it would not go in reverse but then it finally did with a little force. Any ideas on the thing cause now I think i am lost.

18. A&M Snowplowing

More fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did i mention that i just put a plow on this truck a month ago and this was the first time plowing with the truck when this all went down

19. A&M Snowplowing

Thanks for all the help but it turned out to be that the tranny was smoked so now i am trying to decide what i want to do. There are a couple of shops that will rebuild it for $1500 and give me a 6 month warranty and i could also get it rebuilt from another shop for $1850 and get a 1 year warranty. My last option is to go through dodge and get a rebuilt for $2150 and get a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. What would you do if you were in this situation. (Besides go and get a new truck)

20. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Go get a new truck. :rolleyes:

I'd rebuild the tranny with the sop with the 6 month warranty.

Then, I'd also start saving / lookung for a new(er) truck, and maybe trying t sell yours.