1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the05goat, Feb 10, 2013.

1. the05goat

the05goat Member

So just got done with a 30" storm and right at the end I get stuck. I have an 03 2500hd 6.0 gas. I go to try and back out put it in reverse and its like its in neutral I have nothing in reverse. Get pushed out all of my forward gears are fine shifts great etc. I don't get it. I was watching my tranny temps for the past two days and never even approached 200 mostly 150-160 the whole time I was plowing. Do I need a new tranny? A rebuild? Any help would be appreciated

2. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

Is it leaking fluid????

3. the05goat

the05goat Member

No fluid leaks and drives forward perfect

4. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

Not sure if its the same for Chevy, i have a 05 ford f350, the low/back reverse clutch- reverse retainer snap ring broke loose and actually put a hole on the top of the transmission, which made it leak. I never had any issues with using reverse or any other gears for that matter. All gauges/ temps normal, the only thing was leaking fluid. Auto guy told me he was surprised i wasn't having any reverse issues. That being said, i need a new trans case ( from the hole) and is in the process of gutting the old trans and checking all gears and will replace if needed......i guess its a issue on fords....especially if used for plowing. So basically new trans case and minor to major re-bulid for me!!!! And about 2-4 grand.....i hope yours is a easy and cheap fix!!!!

5. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

i had an '01 1500 and grenaded the tranny in it, it was about 2500 for a rebuilt tranny around here for it. so i just upgraded the truck to an '04 2500hd. how many miles ya got on your truck? mine has 240,000on it. have'nt noticed any problems with it. makes me a little nervous reading your post though. I would call a tranny shop and ask, i think you can get reverse rebuilt but if there in there have the whole thing rebuilt IMO gl

6. the05goat

the05goat Member

Truck only has 112k I've called and it looks like its gonna be 1800 from one shop, and a performance shop told me 2500 to bulletproof it different torque converter etc.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like you stripped out the reverse sun shell. Somewhat common on GM. Had an 02 blazer do the same thing at 60k. They make an upgraded sun shell called the Beast or something like that. Been a few years since I had to fix mine.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Reverse band broke or worn down. Quite common

9. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

You took out the revers band/ reaction band / what ever else they call it. I just had mine done for $900

10. the05goat

the05goat Member

Yeah I figure with my mileage at this point I might as well rebuild if I did the bare minimum and something else went next time I was plowing I'd be kicking myself in the butt. Just saw I can get a monster heavy duty 4l80e shipped with a 3yr warranty for 2100 I think I might go that route so everything's beefed up

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Try Automated transmission in Lawrence Mass. My bud steve , he has a 2500 HD and has one for reverse probs on the lift right now. Tell him mike from Giant Glass sent ya. He's good

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, I was just talking about this yesterday in another thread...

13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The reverse band definitely has a shelf life. While they are working on it, it's a good idea to have them change the shift linkage as (in my experience) that'll be the next thing to go.

14. the05goat

the05goat Member

Just dropped it off at a local guy who did work for me a ways back, got a really good rep and he's going to beef everything up, 2500 all in

15. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

make sure when they replace the band that is most likely burned, they also upgrade the boost valve located in the pump. (sonnax makes a part better than oem)

I rebuilt a 4l80e for about 750 in parts, including replacing the torque convertor and those parts not included in the rebuild kit. There is plenty of reference info on that trans on youtube. Heck, there is even a 7 part series that walks through rebuilding one.

16. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

the part you are talking about is found on the 4L60e and is failure prone(replaced one before);

Unless he has a special truck -his truck came with a 4l80e, which does not have that problem...

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Incorrect

Correct

Some good reading here about 4L80s and reverse bands

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=74317&highlight=4l80e

18. the05goat

the05goat Member

Got the truck back just in time for today's storm, all is well and really pleased with the upgrades, sonnax boost valve is great too