1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Problems... who whould of thunk it?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Stark_Enterprises, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Hey guys, Yeaaaa I think i got :gunsfiring: tranny problems A INFAMOUS problem with this trucks and its my 02 2500 CTD with only 52k. I have only plowed with it 1 year (last year) and had it since 3/02 and really hoped this problem wouldn't show up! Because I was Warned Time and Time agian before i bought it about Dodge's Transmission Frequent Problems! I tow a 7 x 16 landscaping trailer and tow my camper once a month with it and had never had a problem until this week. What it dose is when taking off from a stop i won't go anywhere untill i'm at or close to 2,000 rpm and when slowing down to stop i can feel the truck down shift really hard , but when i do get going its shifts fine and smooth But i'll tell ya Trying to take of with my trailer Sucks!! So I just Wanted to get your opinions and take on this problem of mine! It is under warrenty, but i cant wait to go through the BS with my Dealer To get this fixed! Thanks For Reading!

2. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Just replaced my tranny in my 97 3500 dump. All said and done was just under $3000. 66k on the truck

3. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

I've gotten lazy in my old age, & shifting my 01 w/ 5spd gets to me. (pathetic, right??)
    I've rolled over the idea of a slush box, but I know the rap on them. I was wondering if any of you had your auto's rebuilt in such a way that they last longer? I know Ford has a great tranny, my door just dosn't swing that way.
    Anyways, just a slightly-off-the topic question, sorry.

Oh, on the auto, my 98 gas does similar. It runs smooth, just downshifts to 1st harder every once & a while. It's up for sale right now.
    Thanks for the great discussion here~

4. EhlingerLawn

EhlingerLawn Junior Member

find a dif dealer

plowking find a fdifferent dealer if hes going to give u that much guff about bringing it in ,
    Ive had similar problems in my 03 and there standing behind it all without a problem . tranny #3 rebuilt the front end rear end and put ina new transfer case all in the first 55000 miles and the dealer has been excelent thru it all

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Call
    APS Precision they will build a transmission that will be tough to destroy.

6. njxc500

njxc500 Junior Member

I have had the best luck with my dodge trasmissions. My 98 had 96,000 on it when I sold it, never had a problem. My 2001 has 87,000 on it, and hasn't missed a beat. I tow often, from snowmobiles to 20 foot boat, all the way to my 24,000 gooseneck. I change the fluid at about 30,000 miles, with a new filter, religiously. Oh, and both of them are modified and always have been over 350 hp at the crank. I hear of more fords having the problems, so my suggestion is not to swing that way at all.
    Nick

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I half to agree about the dealer..If your current dealer don't smile, say no problem, jump on it that day, and give you a loner then I would take it to the next one down the road. There are a lot of dealers that would like your business.
    after it has been replaced install a temperature gage and keep it below 250 degrees.

8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I have 88,000 on my 00' 2500 with the 5.9L engine and 4:10 gears.

So far, so good. I bought it last January when it just turned 80,000 and I think I got a great deal. It's a Quad Cab Sport with a 6 1/2 foot bed and it didn't have a scratch on it. I purposely looked for a used truck with higher miles on it so I could pay less for the truck and I did, about 16 grand. Considering this truck was around 35,000.00 new, that's not too bad. It still has the original tranny and transfer case and one of the first things I did was have the tranny fluid and filter changed.

I will admit though to being a little worried about going into this season, as it will be my first. I bought my 8 foot Boss at the end of last season, and only used it once to scrape 3 inches of slush off my own driveway. Having heard all the horror stories about Dodge's problems with auto transmissions I know that I may just end up with a problem this year, but if I do, then I'll just have a new tranny put in. What else can you do?

I have seen alot of comments from guys on this site who have been around for years and what they say makes alot of sense, in fact the guy I bought my plow from said similar things. The general idea seems to be that it doesn't matter what make or model truck or plow you have as much as how you operate and maintain them. You could have a brand new truck and plow and break it real fast if you drive it like a lunatic. I know I don't have the experience with the plowing, but I have been around all things mechanical for a long time and it's just common sense.

That, I think has alot to do with why one guy's tranny goes a 60,000 when another guy's goes at 90,000. Then of course it's also whether your truck was built on a Tuesday in the middle of the day or on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend.

9. Stark_Enterprises

I got a REManufactured Tranny under warrenty for 100$ Shifts a lot nicer than i thought it would for a Reman. .

10. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I wouldn't have any other tranny under my Dodge.

http://www.dieseltrans.com/

They have great service and can handle the power and torque of anything you can throw at them.

Great people.

11. Stark_Enterprises

Yea i was Defintly thinking to going with Dieseltrans, but well i work the truck a lot and wanted to try the warrenty to get a new one, if it happens again im going with DieselTrans