1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny problems already???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by tuckerman, Feb 27, 2006.

1. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

Hey Guys,
    finally bit the bullet and sold the ford and bought a dodge a few weeks ago, and love it! So I drove it about 70 miles today, let it sit for about 3 hrs, got in it to come home, put it in reverse and it took about 3 seconds for it to engage. Its an 05 ram 1500, 4.7 litre, 4wd, 2,100 miles. I hope this is nothing, not sure though. It was really cold, about 15-20 degrees. Got right on the highway and all was cool, no problems what so ever! any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tuck

2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I don't care if it's 0 Degees, it shouldn't do that.

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It may be normal for your truck. I would talk to the dealer and see what they say as well as document it with them if it isn't. 3 seconds sounds like a long time to me too.

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

that may be the tranny check valve kicking in...was the engine idling high or were you raising the throttle to warm it up because that would cause it to delay in gearing up

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Has it done it before? Was it fully engaged in reverse? In other words, was your shift selector firmly in place? Could it be a built in delay for some reason, still moving forward?

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

low temps make oil think which takes more time to engage gears. The tranny does not pump fluid in park, so the fluid will not get moved and start thinning until it's in a gear or neutral, if the drainback valve is bad/stuck the torque converter will drain back into the pan and you will need time to refil it once you shift from park into something else.

The throttle positions mentioned are also possible issues. See if it happens again, note the temps, how long it was parked, was it parked flat or on a hill, does it happen in D as well as R....

ALL transmissions suffer from thickening fluid in cold weather- especially since the temp was single digits the night before.

7. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

Well,i think somethings going on, it did it again twice. I always let it warm up for about 10 mins in the morning, even then, it did it. But the crazy thing is its fine fwd, no delat at all, and once I shift it once, it doesn't re-occur. Goin away for a few days so I think I'll drop it off and let them take a look. I'll let you all know how I made out. Thanks for all the responses, very helpful.

Tuck

8. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Check your fluid level. Make sure it's full, but do not overfill it either.

9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

im still going with the check valve...how new is the truck...if youre going away its a great idea to have them look it over because theyll know whats up

10. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

Yeah, i checked the levels, all is good.
    DBL, I've literally had it for a month. It was an '05 leftover. I dropped it off tonight, said they would look at it.

Tuck

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I think the problem is drainback from the valve body- you're second post tells me.

You let it warm up 10 minutes (in P- fluid does not flow in P so the tranny does not warm up, only the engine)
    After the first shift it does not do it again (again fluid does not flow in P, only N or a gear so putting it in gear pumps fluid)
    Does it only in R, means reverse valve is likely the cause. (or you are more gentle on the pedal in R than D.... I know I am.)

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Justme is on the right track.

When you shift in to drive the first time do not give it any throttle. Let it build up some pressure, then give it some throttle.
    on my old 74, you have to wait as the torque converter fills up.
    on the 01, it only does this after it has sat for a few days.
    on the 98 was like the 01, but since it had a new torque converter and tranney installed it does not seen to suffer from this inflection.
    so could it be nothing other than an inconvenience at start up, Yes, but it could also mean your converter or cheek valve is going bad too.

13. tuckerman

tuckerman Junior Member

tranny problem update

well, you guys were right, I got home last night and all is good with the truck now. I spoke to the service mngr, he told me that he could not find a problem but then told me that he had just received a bulletin regarding certain transmissin cooler return filters, and sure enough, mine was with in the serial #'s, so he replaced it, problem fixed.

Thanks again with all the help here

Tuck