1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jto89, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Jto89

Jto89 Member

OK so yesterday i went to work in the morning with no plow and the truck ran great all day. come home hook up my plow and start plowing and go for 3 or 4 hours. then i noticed going to my next job that my truck wouldn't shift out of second, it went from first to second no problem and it goes from park to reverse and reverse to drive fine. so i come home and let the truck sit check the tranny fluid and it had plenty and wasn't Burnett or brown. then go back out 4 hours later and it is fine again then after a couple hours it did the same thing but this time the overdrive lockout button on the shifter was blinking.so i don't know what the problem could be my mechanic is on vacation until Monday and with a storm coming tomorrow i didn't know if i could do anything tonight. the truck is a 2003 f350 7.3L diesel if this helps.
    thanks,Jack

2. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Your tranny is overheating causing the trans to go into a limp mode. The constant backing up from plowing causes the temps on the tranny fluid to sky rocket.

3. Jto89

Jto89 Member

Ok thanks the truck has a tranny cooler but im thinking of putting a bigger one in this week.

4. IGETPLOWED

IGETPLOWED Junior Member

Mine did the same thing this morning! Dropped it off at a shop for them to look at tomorrow. My trans temp didn't seem to high on the gauge. I have a trans cooler and this has never happened before. I'm confused......

Dan