1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ken119, Jan 28, 2007.

1. ken119

ken119 Junior Member

Less than a year ago my 97 yukon was shifting hard between 1st to 2nd and to 3rd, but normal between 3rd and 4th. So I bring it in to a guy that offered a 2 year warranty on a rebuild. He changed the electronic parts, but still no change. Charged me about 350. Then he rebuilds the trans. Charged me 1100. Worked for about 2 months. I brought it back. He said the O2 sensors were bad in the exhaust, said it was causing the problem to the trans. I know they are not related, totally different circuits. So I took it home. New's years eve morning tranny line next to the cooler breaks, no more tranny, he completely rebuilds again. Charges me 1500. Said there was more damage this time. Been about 2 weeks, back to square 1, shifting like it did before I ever brought it to him. Before I bring this guy to court, is there anything like a vaccumn line or something else that would cause this? I know alot about engines but nothing about trannys. The truck never had a plow on it until late Dec, never even used it to plow yet.

2. hummertech

hummertech Junior Member

4l80e had a revised valve body for a harsh shift consern and a calibration upgrade.

3. ken119

ken119 Junior Member

On the receipt the trans. is a 4L60E. Looks like all the solenoids, pump, springs, pressure plate, all the gears, and the converter was changed. This was all changed the 2nd time. I did'nt know the line broke until it was too late. And it still shifts hard between gears.

4. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Are you sure all thoes parts got changed??? My old S 10 blazer was 1800.00 a few years ago and my 3500 GMC was 2500.00 two months ago..

5. ken119

ken119 Junior Member

The 1st time he just put the rebuild kit in the tranny. The second time he replaced just about everything. Since the trans lost all the fluid there wasn't much left.

6. prostreetcamaro

prostreetcamaro Junior Member

The 4L60E is junk anyway. All it is, is a 700R4 thats electronicaly controlled. Possibly the worst trans GM has ever made. I know a guy with a 97 Tahoe that has gone through 5 transmissions. Finally he put in a 4L80E and all is well now. Honestly it may cost you a bit more to do this but you wont go through transmissions left and right like you are now. BUT I will say this. It sounds like your trans guy doesnt know what he is doing. It IS possible to make a 4L60E last a while with the right parts being assembled by the right guy.

BTW to me it sounds like the computer may be at fault. Remember the 4L60E is electronicaly controlled.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

x2 couldnt have put it better. 700/4l60 trannys are tricky to do anyways. most anyone can do 350/400 trannys but those 700/4l60 trannys are vary fussy and run a tight rope to keep them happy on reman jobs. lots and lots of 700 cases in the day were good except for the balls in the valve body area would bang around and trash the case. lots of guys didnt pay attention to this and it bit them bad.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  8. snowcan

snowcan Member

Check the price of the 4l60e brand new from the dealer, I think they have a 2 year and a 3 year warranty. We buy our trannies that way because it is cheaper and a better result than a rebuilt ...in canada anyway, and the one warranty issue we had was taken care of no questions asked. When a trans is rebuilt, it is common practice to inspect and flush the entire sytem, lines coolers, mounts.....sounds like you need a new tranny guy at the very least.