1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Problem Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Joe Moto, May 21, 2002.

1. Joe Moto

Joe Moto Junior Member

I have an '81 Chevy C-10 w/ a built 350/350. I have a couple of questions. When the truck is cold in the morning, and I shift into drive, it doesn't catch right away. Reverse will come in alot sooner than drive most of the time. Sometimes it takes a full minute for it to finally go in drive. It helps to shift into first, then when it takes off shift into drive. I checked the fluid level and it's full. Could it be a clogged filter? Or maybe the torque converter is leaking down? This is my first th350, so I'm not that familiar with AT's yet.

2nd question, when I'm stopped at a light, in drive, the truck idles at 300-400 rpm. I'm running a Carter AFB Comp. Series carb (not by choice, it came with the truck). I've adjusted the idle up to 1,000 rpm in park, but it still idles low in drive. Is there an adjustment, or something else I should check to get the R's up? What is the normal idle rpm in drive? Thanks in advance!