1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny or transfer?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by redplowman, Mar 1, 2014.

1. redplowman

redplowman Member

92 F250 w/ 5.8 Automatic- last week truck seemed hard to move when in drive. To get to the point of what I found. With drive drive shaft removed from differential the drive shaft manually turns easy in reverse but very hard going forward. Does anyone know what might be binding up to cause the truck to move forward with restriction but seem to move fine in reverse?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Drum brakes.

3. redplowman

redplowman Member

Yes drum brakes but that's not the problem. That was my first thought also!

4. damian

damian Senior Member

If the trans is struggling in drive it sounds like you could have a clutch fight going on. this is when 2 incorrect friction units are applied at the same time.this usually happens when clutches and steels weld themselves together and act like they are applied.moving the drive shaft or output yoke of the transfercase is not a good measure of trany health as you are dealing with one way clutches in that E4OD that give a different feel when you turn the trans one way then the other. more info is needed. how does the trans behave in other ranges moving forward, can you get it fast enough to shift thru to 4th. and have engine braking in low and 2nd.did you scan it and find ratio or range codes.

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I had the same exact problem the other day.

Overnight, the brake cables froze with it engaged. When I went to move the truck, I had to engage and disengage the cables about 20 times to break the cables free. It worked, but also reminded me why I shouldn't use my e-brake in the winter.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What a PITA. Were they wet? How did the cold freeze them? I use my truck's E-brake quite often. Many people do not use their E-brakes in an auto enough and then years later they don't work.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

IDK. They might have become wet in some way or another, but I have no idea as to how.

Mine Brick is an auto, and I always use the ebrake... unless (now) of course, it's 10*F or so.

It's the best way to adjust the rear brake shoes without actually opening up or manually adjusting from the rear. My full floater axle in my truck doesn't have divorced drums from the hub, so its a real PITA to remove them. Since I have LSD rear axle, and larger tires, it's also a PITA to adjust manually the shoe star wheels as well.