1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny or Clutch? cant shift into high and reverse 91 chev 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by omiimiish, Jan 28, 2013.

1. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

i have a 91 chev 2500 with a 4 speed muncie (Low, 1, 2, 3, R) Just changed clutch and flywheel a year ago this past december. I was doing a lot of plowing today and towards the end I suddenly could not get the shifter into reverse, tried other gears, rocking just to see what might work, then I could not get it into high gear (3rd) either, I crept home in 1st (not Low) after pushing the truck backward enough to turn out of the snow bank.

Any body had trouble like this?

Main Question. Is this a tranny problem, or a clutch problem?

I did manage to get into high and reverse once I parked at home, so I thought i would go back out, but then the same, I could not get the lever into the 3rd and reverse positions.

thanks for your know hows
    dave

2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Does it shift ok with the engine off? If so, it's probably the clutch release system.

3. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

good question, I will try. Never thought of it. (shifting while off) I

4. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

does not shift into 2, 3, or reverse even when the truck is not running.

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, that's gotta be something in the transmission. Perhaps a cracked shift fork?

6. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

thanks for the input.

7. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

perhaps the pivot ball has worn thru the clutch fork like what happened on my 88 2500

8. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

I am hoping it is simple, sometimes I can get it to go into those gears, it takes some playing with the shifter. The gears do not grind. I am planning to have it worked on soon so I can retire it to the farm for lighter duties