1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny oil in motor?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by rockyr, Dec 29, 2012.

1. rockyr

rockyr Junior Member

Can some one tell me what on earth transmission oil would be doing in the electric motor of my homesteader plow? My local dealer wasn't at all sure believe it or not! thanks

2. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

There should be a seal on the pump shaft to keep the fluid on the right side of the pump. If you are getting plow fluid into the motor, pull the reservoir off and the pump off. You'll see the seal in the valve block.

3. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Make sure your breather cap on the reservoir isn't plugged, it might force fluid through the seal if the hyd tank is getting pressurized.

4. rockyr

rockyr Junior Member

thanks chip,

i suspected a seal was the culprit but i have minimal hydraulic equipment experience. now i'm hoping to salvage the motor!! rr

5. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

If the motor isn't fried already, just pick up a can of electromotive cleaner and wash it out with that. It's available at any auto parts store and is designed for electrical components. Pulling the pump and reservoir is very simple. Go to western or fischer's website and download the parts diagram for the suburbanite/ homesteader parts poster. It gives you the part number of the seal and an exploded view of everything. It is really simple to do. It's a good thing you caught it before it came down to having to put out a fire. Good luck.

6. daman

daman Member

Yep probably bad seal.

7. rockyr

rockyr Junior Member

thanks guys.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Another question is why is there transmission fluid in your plow? Put in the Blue Fisher fluid and your pump & motor will be much happier. Run some Meyer Hydra Fluid through the system after draining as much of the transmission fluid as possible. Then drain & fill with the Blue stuff.

9. daman

daman Member

Soooo whats the verdict a bad seal??