1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny oil dripping.. HELP

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by f350dieselemt, Feb 25, 2005.

1. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

HEY guys wuts up.. i got a quick question.. i was plowing and i found red trans fluid on the ground... but then it stopped leaking and i was fine for the rest of the storm.. does anyone know wut this could be? ANY HELP APPRECIATED

2. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

What color is the fuild in your plow pump ? Are you sure it was from your truck ? If you were working the truck hard, the tranny can overheat and push transmission fluid out the vent tube of the transmission. check you fluid level and if it was not changed recently and you are sure it was from your truck get the fluid changed.

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It's probably your front pump seal. Your trans may hav got too hot.

4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

These guys are right. The trans got hot, too hot. I would change the fluid and filter asap. This may help to prevent toasting the trans. It happened to our '01- F550 a coupla weeks ago, it was puking a little fluid while my guy was plowing. End result...new tansmission.

5. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

If it only happened once, I'd suspect overheating and check the fluid color. Possibly go ahead and replace it with the filter. If it's brownish in color, definitely replace it. Only if it is a constant leak would I suspect the front seal.

6. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

This happens to my buddy's F250 all the time. He doesn't have a tranny cooler. Like everyone has said, more than likely it is just the hot trans oil blowing by the front seal. Do you have a cooler? If not, it's a good investment. Very easy to install.

7. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

fluid

I would check the cooling lines for the tranny..My plow mount is so close to the lines on the cooler, they actually rub...Also, when stacking, if I go to high on a pile and snow/ice goes under the truck, I noticed the lines can rupture/can off the fittings.

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I had a Bronco II that used to overheat the trans in deep snow. I tried to limit that truck to small drives. Try changing the fluid but definitely add an oil cooler if you don't have one!

9. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

thanks alot

ok guys thanks alot it only happened once so i would think that it just got to hot and kinda did like a one time drip.. this happened 4 days ago and it has no dripped a drip since then... big storm coming up today.. i hope the truck will be ok.... guys yur life savers.. thanks alot.

10. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Have a look at your transfer case and make sure the leak is not coming from there. I had the output shaft seals leaking on one of my trucks.

11. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

I would check the seals around the gasket around the pan, and also around where the bolts are that hold the pan up. I had the same thing happen to a truck I used to have, tightened them up, never dripped again!

Jason