1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Noise- What To Do !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Jan 27, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I`ve got a 96 Ram 1500. I put a tranny temp gauge in which says to install the tee fitting on the line going to the tranny. After about a week, I decided to move it to the line coming out of the tranny, for a more accurate reading. I left the tee in the first line, and just bought another tee for the second line.
    After the mechanic installed the second line, I noticed fluid under the truck and the fitting was loose. I took it back, he tightned it. When I was backing up my driveway, I heard a wininng sound, like a pump was dry. It happened only in reverse. Thinking there might be air in the lines, I took it back, and he added more fluid. The sound eventually went away.
    When I hooked up my plow, and added ballast, it came back, only happening in reverse, as the first time. I`m not sure if the tees in the lines are restricting the flow, or if the torque converter is going, or the pump. Anybody have a similar reverse whinning,straining sound when weight is added ? :help:

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

How has the temperature been out side???? I notice in my truck the transmission will have a small whine from time to time , but only when it is extremly cold(below zero).

3. danno

danno Senior Member

The times its been doing it are 20 and up, usually warmer. Would the cooling lines have anything to do with the problem, other than cooling ?