1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Needs To Come Out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TRUE TURF LAWN, Mar 6, 2006.

1. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

HAS ANYONE ELS HAVING TROUBLE WITH THERE 06 ALISON TRANSMISSION? I HAVE TO HAVE IT DROPPED BECAUSE ITS LEAKING FROM THE TOP. WHAT A PIECE OFF ****:realmad: . AND IT ONLY HAS 7,600 MILES.

2. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

is it coming out of the breather?

3. TRUE TURF LAWN

no its not.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Coming out the top??? Kinda curious were or what? Hope you have beter luck.....sometimes you just get a lemon. It sucks but trust me when I say.....I've seen the innards of a few allisons and they are good tranys;)

5. TRUE TURF LAWN

i finally got my truck back, it was leaking from the front pump cover.:redbounce

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That's strange, the new 6 speed Ally is a good tranny! Hope you have luck with the new one.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It can't be as bad as a Dodge I once had. It was a '91 Dakota, 4x4 with club cab - one of a small run in this combination. I had 8 brand new trans, 23 rebuilds. ( Yes, I tried to sue under the lemon law. However, they counter sued and in the game of chicken a broke yungster folds first. )

8. Antnee77

from RI

Sounds ridiculous, but I believe it. Dodge trannies are NG, to say the least.

9. scottL

I was curious with their merger if their trannies have gotten better or not. It was ridiculious, to say the least. It simply became a game, a very ugly game.

10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

31 Trans jobs I'm not buying your story. My 93 Dakota still has its original trans at 160,000 + miles.

11. Antnee77

from RI

You're just one of the lucky few. They are truly horrible. My 94 Dakota blew its first tranny at around 45k miles and after I replaced it, I sold the truck. I wasn't going to play that expensive game again.

On another note, we have a 2004 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins H.O. motor. The tranny is supposed to be solid now. It seems okay now at around 42,000 on the clock, but I swear I can feel it slipping now and then. I still don't trust them. Can't beat the Allison on my D-Max!

12. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

But 31 trans jobs at 1000 to 2000 each. He could have bought 2 trucks what he paid for transmissions. If he said 3 or 4 trans jobs that would have been more believable.

13. scottL

You don't need to buy it. I'm cool with it. But, it was true. Like I said after a while it just became a game between me and the dealership.

14. scottL

It was ALL under warranty. I paid nothing, including the rental car. ( I always buy the top warranty ). Like I said, it was nothing more than a game. Yes, I did point out the fact that they were paying more in warranty than the truck was worth. But, what does one do if they won't take it back, the lemon law doesn't really protce me and I don't have the funds to continue a personal law suit.....

15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I find it hard to believe that they would do that many transmission repairs with out doing anything for you. At that point I think even dodge would have just replaced the truck. I have seen people get new vehicles for far less problems. The lemon law is very clear about when a vehicle should be replaced.

16. scottL

I know - very strange. Corporate Dodge was involved, mediator, BBB, lawyer, etc, etc. The lemon law was a personal law suit between me and the dealership owner. If the law has changed since then I would not know as my chevy(s) have been great.

Look I can go on and on. If you want to chat email me directly. I made the oops mistake of saying dodge in a chevy forum so, I'd like to stop the thread here.

17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think, is that, yup, I smell bullsh*t....:rolleyes:

18. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Antnee 77

You make the statement that Dodge Trannies are no good. Well that is a matter of opinion. My 96 has well over 300,000 miles on it and still looks good and runs like a new truck. I replaced the engine last fall before the season not because the old one was bad but because I felt it was needed. I still have the origional transmission in it and it has never given me a problem. Oops Once I thought it had gone bad. It was -78 going through Denali park while I was piloting a large tractor with an extraq wide load to the north slope and it would not shift out of second. Had to run all the way into Fbks like that. I went to the dealer and they told me what was wrong. They changed out the cloth screen in the tranny and installed a steel screen. Seems the cloth had frozen and the fluid would not flo. They said I was lucky I hadn't burned up the tranny. That was about a hundred thousand miles ago and I just finish my plow season without one problem. Maybe I just got lucky but this truck will stay with me for the duration if I have my way. Steve

19. scottL

First - I sent you a private message. Secondly - rude. Thirdly, read the thread you'll maybe catch that the whole thing became a game that we kept repeating and repeating over and over.

The only thing I didn't mention was once the wrranty ended I ended up going to the junk yard for a full size 3 speed trans ( I believe a 727 or something along those lines ) with some sizing adjustments all worked great. It was a crappy little trans in the wrong combination truck. You may even be able to research the truck combination still - if you read the thread .....

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

31 Trans jobs ???
    '91 Dakota, how long did you own the truck?
    If you still had the truck it would be 16yrs old and have had 31 trannys? That's almost two trannys a year!! There is a lot more to this story or it's like Epic Lawn Care said.....and now you have another truck with tranny problems?? Your not very lucky are you?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006