1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny lines

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bounty21061, Dec 6, 2005.

1. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

Does any one know where i can get replacement tranny lines beside the dealer i called all over to parts houses and know one seems to know where i can get them at.

2. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

You could try here:

http://www.fordparts.com/

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If I was you I would use hydrolic line. If you have your mind made up on steel line then go get some stright line and get a real good bender and use the old line as a template to bend the new one. Prebent lines are way expensive....Rob

4. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Make your own they will be a lot cheaper in cost. You will need the proper size tube, A tube cutter, Flare tool and a bender.

Your other choice is to take it to a tranny shop and let them deal with it. Your biggest expense there will be labor

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

LMCtruck.com has them for some trucks about 4 or 5 times what the materials would cost you to DIY.

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Heres what I did tonight with some 1/4 inch brake line and a real good bender in about 5 mins. When my customer stopped by to pick up his truck and I showed him just what he was paying for. He seemed real impressed with our work.....Rob

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

And one more:....Rob

Picture 010.jpg

8. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

Robhollar,

The new lines look great. I replaced all my brake and tranny lines two years ago and did the same thing you did. Not hard, but time consuming.

9. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

I agree, buy straight lines and bend them yourself... buy a quality line bender, its cheaper and you know the in's and out's of what was done if you should have to fix it again.
    If money's not the issue take it in and have them do stainless throughout.

All_Clear

10. MickiRig1

Make it a point to use a tubing bender. Buy a couple different designs they make it easier to get the correct bends. Just make sure you have no kinks or really crimped bends. Once you get the hang of it it's fairly easy fix.
    The big thing is will the bleeder screws break loose or off!

11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Ive used many benders and this is the best one Ive for so far. It will do 180 deg bends without a prob. Its a snap on and I highly recommend it......Rob

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  12. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I agree with the other posters.
    I just did the rear brake lines on my truck. The tubing is cheap and all it takes is some patience.

13. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

i'm from anne arundel any help would be good :yow!:

14. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

Check your Private Messages...

15. bounty21

bounty21 Member

where can i buy the tube at i called all the auto parts stores they say they don't have it

16. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Any auto parts store should be a ble to get the line if you have the I.D. and O.D. of the line. You could also get hold of Classic Tube, Inline Tube or SSBC.

17. MickiRig1

They will not have the pre-bent stuff that will fit right up on the vehicle.
    Depending on what vehicle and what year you may have to buy the adapters for the available brake lines. The lines most times come with fractional size fittings and the vehicle may have metric fittings. So you need the fractional to metric adapter fittings.
    As long as the diameter of the line is as big as you had or a little bigger your fine. Make sure you keep all the lines the same size on axles so you don't upset the balance of braking front to back-side to side.