1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny line leaking!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dave_dj1, Feb 6, 2013.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I just had my 2010 2500HD Ram inspected on Monday and the garage told me that one of the transmission lines is leaking. Of course it's not under warranty as it's one month over the 36 months. I just find it hard to believe that a trans line is leaking with only 60K on the clock.
    Oh well, hope it holds up for this upcoming storm as I don't have time to fix it before the weekend.
    Oh, it's leaking right where the rubber meets the steel at the connection.:mechanic:

2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Don't wait until your transmission fluid is on the ground and you need a new transmission in the middle of a 3 foot deep plowing job. Fix it now.

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure you're asking a question but the answer is FIX IT now.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Agree with the other two posts. Park it now until it is fixed or park it later while you are waiting for a new tranny.

5. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I wasn't really asking any questions, just on a rant! LOL
    If things go well , I may be able to get to it tomorrow afternoon.
    Thanks guys Thumbs Up

6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Well I bought some soft line, hard line and clamps in preparation of fixing the leaky line. I found NO leak, could see where something oily was there but I cleaned everything up and let the truck idle both in and out of gear for 10-15 minutes and found nothing. Im going to keep my eyes on it. Keeping the heat on in the shop in case I have to pull her in.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Probability loose clamp. Tight little it should be fine. But leak will be worse if you beat HARD WORK.

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

15 minutes of idling is nothing like an hour driving, let alone hours plowing. Pressure is way higher driving and especially plowing, and temperature too. Maybe wrap a paper towel around the joint and go for a drive then beat on it for a few minutes, then look at the paper towel?

9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

OK, good info, I wasn't sure if the pressure increased with driving or not. The lines were pretty hot, I had driven it to work and back and then to the auto parts store to pick up the stuff and brakes. I do plan on keeping an eye on it. I may have to make a run for some argon today so I'll check it then and after.
    thanks,
    dave

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Well I drove her to town today and got on it pretty hard a couple of times, sure enough, when I checked there was a drip. Exactly where the rubber went to steel, at the crimp. I cut the rubber and the steel, added a sleeve and some clamps. All seems to be good now.
    thanks guys:mechanic:

11. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

I hate playing in tranny fluid so I went with racecar AN fittings and Stainless braided hoses. Found fittings that thread into trans., removed my stock trans. cooler and lines, replaced with a DeRaile 6 pass cooler with fan, assembled hoses with ends, added inline fluid temp sender and auto switch for fan and put it all together. Not a single wet area around anything in 8 years now. Cost alot, but worth it to me in the long run. I'm about to make power steering hoses too. I've been thru 4 pressure hoses in last 6 yrs! Pump is fine, no over pressure according to guage. Cheap manufacturing I guess...... Sorry for rant. Good to hear you fixed it before it left you out in the cold!!

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like Mopar uses the same sourcing for crimped lines as GM does.Actually,it's the real cold temperatures that will make the crimp leak more vs.pressure or heat.AN fittings with same hose or better hose works or go to all flexible hydraulic lines with no joints to possibly leak is the way I rolled.