1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Nov 12, 2004.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I have a problem...I have a tranny leak in my 79 Chevy k10 w/ a sb350 and th350.

This leak doesn't happen in park, seems to be at its worst when driving hard and at higher speeds. I know that my pan isn't leaking, my dipstick, cooling lines or speedometer connection.

My though is that I have an after market chrome dipstick and that with the gasket sealer, it doesn't read accurately. This leak seems to be on the passengers side at the top of the tranny. Could it be that I was over filled enough to be blowing it out of the vent tube?

Thanks for your help,
    Steve

2. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

it might be the aftermarket dipstick b/c i have the same truck and engine and tranny and mine alway leaked so i said srew this and went and bought a factory one.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Check to see if the fluid is coming from the top of the dipstick. Running at high rpm etc. builds maximum pressure in the tranny (due to pump rpm) and in some cases make enough to push fluid out the top like that.

GM makes replacement dipsticks... I bought one for my 700R4. It actually has a flip-lock handle on it with o-ring seals to prevent this problem. I think I paid about $20Cdn for it, tube and stick.