1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny keeps going..

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by a&j lawncare ll, Feb 27, 2010.

1. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

my 2001 f250 diesel auto transmission with a 8.5 boss v blade, keeps braking transmission ever 10k mile for the last 30k..paid for the first the second one was under the warrenty the third still have to hear back..the truck doesnt have a transmission temp gage in it..i do about 35 driveways..my wife feels that the transmission braking is from the plowing..never had problems with transmission before i started plowing..has any noticed a cooler running transmission with a big transmission cooler and a bigger pan??

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I would get a gauge put in to monitor temps. Do you take it on the highway? Does your engine ever get warm with the plow on?

3. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

no highway..and my motor stays cool...

4. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

pay more for a better quality rebuild ?

did you install it yourself ? if 'yes', did you flush out the cooler before hooking everything up ?

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

maybe there is a loose nut behind the wheel?

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

haha that is a good one!!!

what exactly is breaking inside the trans??? is the same thing breaking each time? and is that all your replacing? ....my truck wishes thats all i did with it and shes running top of her game at 85k miles....knock on wood...

7. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

a transmission shop rebuild it for 3k.. new toque converter bigger clutch pack,shift kit..its all was something different braking ever time..there going to make sure the cooler is not blocked this time..

8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

if they didnt replace the cooler the first time thats the problem. when your trans lets go all that broken shite goes right into the cooler....and comes right back out for the next 6 months if you dont replace it... youll never get all that garbage out of there unless its replaced.. make sure the cooler lines are flushed too and get a good temp gauge!!! better be under warranty or id file suit.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Doing drives I would not think would over heat the trans. I would raise hell with the re-builder / shop. It should barely be broken in at 10K. My Wife complains too about the parts and time spent on maintenance. She has no problem spending the money the truck and I make.

10. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

11. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

its the forward clutches keep going on it...iam putting a bigger cooler on it asap...

12. a&j lawncare ll

a&j lawncare ll Member
    from ct

the truck also has a shift kit in it..good or bad idea???

13. damian

damian Senior Member

stop the madness,the beer bottle on the bench transmission shop overhaul is your problem.these tranys need to be remaned not rebuilt,the pump halves need to made flat again,case checked for straight and cross leaks,updated parts,valve bodies run on valve body machines drums and gear sets rebushed,dyno run etc, etc,all the things a local shop cant do.we use jasper reman tranys with very few problems,3 year 100.000 mi warranty and they dont care if you tow the space shuttle while you plow.ive been rebuilding tranys almost my whole life and realised years ago i am not serving my customers by doing it, i will repair one now but if they need overhaul it gets a jasper crate unit

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a Chevy

15. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I'd put a cooler from a 6.0L Diesel in it.They are alot bigger and bolt right in.You definately should replace the cooler and clean out the lines when replacing the tranny.You should also add an inline filter to the return line.A temp. gauge would also be a good idea,someone makes a gauge mount that goes on the steering column and the sender can go in the test port on the side of the tranny.

16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

No one has talked about synthetic. I run a 50/50 mix in my vehicles. I have talked to a trans rebuilder and he told me not to run full synthetic because it can be too slippery and cause a slip code in my computer. Also, I change my fluid and filter once a year if it needs it or not. P.M. will help keep expenses down!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  17. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

The solution is a better builder. contact
    BTS
    And your issues will go away with the best customer service in the industry. His transmission will hold up to anything you can throw at it. I personally was throwing 500 rwhp at mine for many years and i just had it freshened and it was almost new inside.

18. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Imo this would make your problems worse:)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, the Allison and 4L80e are terrible transmissions.

20. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I've not owned an allison but had seen several bad ones when I was wrenching at the gm dealership. As for the 4l80e, mine came apart at 44k in my 2000 one ton (only had a 5.7, all I'm saying is there all junk, just some are worse than others:)