1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Issues with a 05 F350?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowfever, Dec 13, 2010.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Well not a good way to start out the plowing season. Finally got enough snow to push today and I think reverse has went out on my 05 350. Only has 71,831 miles on it and I didn't feel anything wrong just went to back up out of a pile and boom no power to the wheels just acted like I was dragging something under the truck. Any you guys ever have any issues with your diesel trans? I have always ran Ford diesels and never had one bit of trouble with any till now.

2. greenguy08

greenguy08 Junior Member

Only in reverse? Did you still have forward gears? No warning signs? Ford trannys have sensor issues sometimes.

3. bbirri

bbirri Junior Member

yes you broke the low/reverse snap ring and probally the case do you see a leak? ford has a tsb about this

4. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Yes that is what I broke. Ford says that is a common problem in this year of truck. I was lucky that it didn't break through the transmission housing. I still had forward gears. I am hoping that the new Ford reman will not have any issues.

5. bbirri

bbirri Junior Member

your reman should have the updated parts this will happen to any 03-07 gas or diesel but i only see it in plow trucks:mechanic:

6. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Yes the dealer I took it to said between 04-05 he changed probably 30 of them. He said that most of them were in plow trucks. I think he boosted the pressure up also. I hope this fixes it cause I love this truck but don't wanna put tranny after tranny in it.

7. jandllawns

jandllawns Junior Member

Around here it is common knowledge that a powerstroke tranny lasts about 60K. I would like to own one but there is no way I will accept this. My alison has treated me great and will out last any ford

8. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I assume you checked to see if it was out of warranty?

9. JN16184

JN16184 Member

I had issues with my '05 F250SD 6.0's trans. It went into limp, lots of warning lights going off and then wouldn't move. I let it sit a while, 20 minutes or so, started it back up and limped 6 miles to the dealer. The dealer was sure the trans was toast. They pulled the pan and it was clean, looked almost new...only had about 35k on it. It turned out that the wiring harness was corroded internally and eatten up. They replaced it and it's been fine since. 43k on the truck now. I bought the 7/70 warrenty so I'm covered for a while longer.

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Around here, it's common knowledge that any Powerstroke that only gets 60k out of a transmission is driven by an idiot. Me and my 4R100 will outlast any of your plow jockeys.

11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

My 05 f350 tranny lost reverse with about 11,000 on it. Ford dicked around all winter trying to fix it before they put a whole new tranny in. It qualified for the lemon law so I got a new truck out of the deal. My 07 hasn't had any problems, knock on wood. Pretty common on plow trucks like everyone said.