1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Interchange Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stan, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I have a '95 2500 series with a 4L60 4x4. I heard there are certain years that will not work correctly with the computor. Any insight?
    Also If I were to update this into a 4L80 what do I need to look for or do?

2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Also would an older 700r trans interchange into the 4l60?

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

From what I remember (it has been a few years) the 4L60 and the 700R4 are the same unless it is the 4L60E version.

Wait to see what B&B says though.

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

What does the E designate and is it determined/indentified on the tranny? Doesn't the 700 have a different pan configuration?

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

88-92 is when the TH700R4/4L60 was used in the 1/2 ton and light duty 3/4 ton trucks. 88-91 was the TH400 trans in the 2500 and 3500 trucks. Then in 91-92 gm came out with the 4L80E for the 3/4 and one ton trucks. 1993-up they use the 4L60E in the 1/2 and light duty 2500 trucks. The E is for electronic I believe. Is your 95 2500 the light duty six lug version, or does it have the 8 lug axles?? Six lug will be the 4L60E and 8 will be the 4L80E. And you can swap the 60E out for the 80E, just would take some wiring, and some other stuff. Im sure B&B will chime in with more info

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Great info, thanks. I may have a super deal on a 4l80E. If I was driving the truck myself I'd use the 60. As a matter if fact I have a 1994 k-1500 blazer plowing since 2001. Almost @ 150K with original tranny. I wonder how bad the the wiring may be for the convert.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The 4L60E should have more wiring than the standard 4-pin square plug on the LH side above the pan (controls the lockup convertor on the 700R4/4l60).

I also have a 4L60E here from a '99 4x4 Jimmy, and it has a removable bellhousing. Not sure if they all do. Never seen a non-E with that before.

I *suspect* that anything beyond a 92 or 93 should be an E unit...

10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Google is a good friend. Think I'll just stick with the 4l60e. Way too much BS to be involved with. The only other question I may have are the year changes for electronic reasons. What year 4l60e's will be good to go with a 1995? Seems everywhere I look I find three differant answers

11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

In the event someone is researching a swap, here ya go:
    Here's the deal. Your biggest decision, at least my biggest decision was on how to control the thing. Basically you have two options. You either get a PCM from a 350/4L80E truck and then add the wires for the Input Speed Sensor (which I'm told you will need for 4 low operation) or dive into Do It Yourself tuning and stay with the 350/4L60E program and turn a bunch of crap off such as the 3-2 and TCC PWM solenoid diagnostics so that codes don't set. You would also have to input the correct trans ratios and modified shift points and TCC settings into the 4L60E program like I did to make it work in this way. Also using the 4L60E programming you will need to install a relay inline on the shift solenoid B circuit to invert its signal. Shift solenoid B works opposite 4L60E to 4L80E. Also the 3-2 solenoid wire needs to be pinned to a dumby cavity in the connector along with the PWM wire.

Now then on my 2wd it was basically a direct swap aside from the cooler lines and having to change my exhaust a little. I was even able to keep the stock driveshaft, only doing a yoke swap for the bigger 4L80E output shaft. In your case you will need either a transfer case from a truck with a 4L80E or just the transfer case input shaft from a 4L80E truck. I'm not sure on the cross member but I would imagine the holes are all there and you would just need to slide it back. Then change your driveshafts accordingly. Really its not a bad swap mechically speaking but the biggest problem on the OBS is figuring out how you want to control it.

Two other options are you can go with an aftermarket stand alone transmission controller but they are big money. The other option is you can make a TCM (transmission control module) out of a 16197427 (that would be your PCM). Basically you have to provide it with power, ground, vehicle speed, engine speed, MAP and TPS readings and then disable all engine related diagnostics and so on. This will then provide it with the needed info to control the transmission and then just run your wires from it to the transmission. You would have two PCMs then, one controlling your engine and then one thats acting as a TCM to control the transmission.
    Source:
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436203

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Removable bell housings started in the '97 model year across the line.

You just saved me a whole ton of typing Stan. :D It's certainly do-able but not cost effective. And '95's are the toughest year to swap as they're sort of all their own animal.

13. Stan

Stan Senior Member

So a 4l60e from a 94 or 96 up will not be cost effective? I just lost out on a CL truck w/a rebuilt tranny from a 95 3500. Also from what I had gathered and I didnt know is the 700r4 is actually a 4l60 non E tranny, correct?

14. Stan

Stan Senior Member

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 60E from a '94 will but not a '96-newer without extra mods. When I referenced to '95's being all their own it meant not just the trans but many other things on the truck too such as the ECM, wiring, electricals layout on and on and on. It's due to the last year of OBDl and the transition over to OBDII. Not just a GM thing either by any means.

A '95 K3500 would have an 80E, not a 60E so unless you were wanting to do the involved upgrade wouldn't have done you any good. So no real loss there otherwise.

A 4L60 and it's father the 700R4 are very very similar and most of their components will directly interchange as they're basically the same trans, the 4L60 was just the "newest" version of the 700 before they went to the full electronics of the 4L60E starting in '93.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Stan - is your transmission gone, or were you just looking to upgrade?

17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

So what I'll be searching for is a good 94 or 95 4l60e/4x4. From what I researched the trucks have a longer output shaft for the transfer case correct? Is there any differance on a tranny from a k series -vs-s-10? I'm speculating it may be because the truck I have is a 2500 6 lug.

The CL ad stated it was in fact a 4l60e but he could have been wrong. No way I'm going thru the mods w/a 4l80e...just not enough time.

18. Stan

Stan Senior Member

This is what I am being told by the mechanic at the municapal. trk has 165K on its 2nd trans. I dont have possesion of the truck until next week but it is a done deal. By all means I'll confirm and scan the truck. The fluid didn't smell burnt so I may get off the hook but usually we're not so lucky. Got a killer deal on the 2 trks as a package so I look @ the 2500 as a free truck. Its not pretty but will do the job.

19. Stan

Stan Senior Member

heres a pic IMG_1139 (Small).JPG

IMG_1139 (Small).JPG

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Save yourself a ton of frustration and scrambling, and just have your transmission rebuilt. Then you know exactly what you have, and you have a warranty. The rebuild is not alot more money than the used transmission will cost you. You can still do your own R&R if you want.