1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PlowMan03, Mar 31, 2007.

1. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Alright here it is. I have a 99 Dodge 1500 reg cab short bed with a 318 and auto transmission. Last night I went to back up from a friends house and I'd have to put the throttle about half way before it would move. Now today I have to just about floor it for it too move in reverse, in drive it's fine. Is the tranny ready to crap out on me or is it something else? I just recently had a new transmission base pan put on and new transmission fluid put in, the recommended transmission fluid at that. Any help would be great.

2. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

when was the last time that the tranny was serviced...you might get lucky and a flush, filter, fluid change, and band adjustment mught take care of it...but I doubt it...

that is the same thing that my buddies did whan it was time for a new tranny...he limped it home for 75 miles at 25mph with his foot to the floor...call around to the tranny shops and price repairs b4 you just get it fixed...could save you some serious coin...

also, you may want to go to dodgetruckworld.com and post your question in the tranny forum (I think that there is a tranny forum...if not then the 98-02 ram forum will do the trick..

good luck...

3. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Wouldn't it be the same for Drive as it would be Reverse right now, have to almost floor it until it moves. I can still drive it fine 55-60 at 1500-1700 rpm going down the road, it's just reverse thats screwed. The tranny has 123k on it I'm not sure if it's been rebuilt or not, I bought the truck used and the sad part is my warrenty just run out too so come Monday I'm gonna go haggle with the dealer I bought the truck from to see if they will go good for it.

4. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Good luck with the stealership man...

if you end up having to do the tranny yourself, or at least, having to pay for it...make sure to do your research and have it done right.

if you are looking to upgrade it be sure that you have the valve body worked on so that the converter is "charged in park". one of the downfalls to the dodge tranny is that when it is sitting idle and running (park or neutral) the fluid is not circulating...therefore, it is not cooling the tranny and also not lubing the rear bearings & seals...

I just had mine worked on under warranty so I have not been able to do this yet...as long as its under warranty...they can pay for it.

However, once it is fixed...have it serviced anually without fail...and dont just have the fluid & filter changed. also have the converter flushed & have the bands adjusted..this will cost extra but it is well worth it. I had mine flushed & adjusted 2 weeks ago and it is now like a whole new tranny.

Here is a link to an aftermarket tranny company...I have decided that this is the tranny that I will be putting in when (not if) mine goes out after the warranty is over.

http://www.goerend.com/

if nothing else, read thru the website...it gives you alot of useful info.

:salute:

5. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I am hoping that the stealership will go good for it since it's still under warranty. If not I'll put up a big stink about it. The truck really hasn't been abused in anyway, just normal dirt road driving with some mud have pulled out a couple friends here and there nothing major.

I did read threw that web site Ugly Truck not bad info either thanx. I have posted on that web site you gave me but I haven't gotten anything back as of yet.

6. mopar/hiniker

mopar/hiniker Junior Member
    from iowa

it the reverse band stop driving it you will hurt the tranny trust me it happeneed to me last snow storm
    please listen

7. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

It's the reverse band. I have only drivin it 1 day with out any problems, it's still shifts threw the other gears fine. When I have it fixed should I have the whole tranny rebuilt or a new reverse band put back in? I'm leaning towards having the whole tranny rebuilt, I'm guessing that would be my best bet.

8. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

if it the reverse band you have to diassemble almost the whole trans to change it.it would be smart to have them rebuild the whole thing since they will have it all apart.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007