1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny heating up

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cookie, Feb 8, 2010.

1. cookie

cookie Member

Hey, first off I have an 02 2500 Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins in her. Last spring I spent a bunch of $$ on the auto tranny. Any way to make a long story short, it heats up even during light plowing (we haven't had a good dumping yet!) The guy that rebuilt it bypassed the factory cooler because it was plugged and put in a massive aftermarket cooler just near the big hole on the front bumper.
    I just serviced the tranny last week, filter was full (only about 5 k) no metal in the fluid (thank god) just band material. The tranny guy adjusted the bands and bumped up the pressure in the valve body (?)
    Now I did notice the the new cooler isn`t completely exposed in that factory hole in the bumper - would shifting it over a few inches make that much of a difference? I am really getting p*ssed about this as you can imagine!
    Only mods on the truck are - Superchip programmer (that I run in tow) and 50 horse injectors. I don't plow hard with the truck and yet she keeps getting warm!
    I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and he does a lot of tranny work..just that I am getting frustrated, lol
    Any help would be appreciated - thanks

2. cookie

cookie Member

I forgot to mention, only heats up when I have my 8.5 Extreme V hanging off the front.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

my guess is your not getting enough air to your tranny cooler, plus your fan isn't coooling it off at all either. i think you need to use the stock cooler. i doubt there much air at all that even gettingto your cooler. ats diesel makes a cooler with electric fans if you want to go that route. whats your temp reading?

4. cookie

cookie Member

Had a different Tranny guy look at it today - hopefully hooking up the factory cooler/heater to the aux cooler tomorrow! Have a Snap-on scanner hooked up to her now to read temps. accurately, did 230F this afternoon scraping a yard.
    I may order a fan for the aux cooler tomorrow and a real temp gauge.

5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

there is something wrong with your fluid and or cooler I have a winter cover on my truck ( entire front grill covered with plastic ) at all times in the winter and with the plow on the front I never see temps past the 140 mark on my trans gauge

when you are parked try to leave it in N instead of P it gets the fluid moving around better see if that helps

6. cookie

cookie Member

Fluid is new (last week) - but the guy that rebuilt it by-passed the factory cooler for some reason. It is going to a different shop today to have it hooked back up.The aux cooler he did put on is big - 9X11 with 1/2 inch lines in/out of it. I may have to add a fan to the aux cooler if she stay's warm.

7. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

get a cooler with a fan built in fan they are nice and work great have one on my car.

8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

a 9x11 cooler isnt that big at all. hopefully you didnt do any damage to the trans.

9. TBittner

TBittner Junior Member

im just double checking, you are referring to your tranny over heating right?

10. cookie

cookie Member

Finally got it fixed - put a "new" rebuilt by Mopar tranny in it, lol