1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Gone, What to add to it

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by firstclasslawn, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Well, My tranny went out in the 99 k 2500 (old body style) its has the vortech 350 and a 4L80E transmission. What should I have to tranny shop do/add to it to make it better for plowing, anything?

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I would have thought that truck would have a 4L60e. Anyway, the 4L80Es are supposed to be really tough as long as you keep fluid in them. Here is my formula for plowing with an automatic. Change fluid and filter every year, check fluid before and after plowing. Add aftermarket trans cooler in front of radiator, run in conjunction with radiator trans cooler. On the output line from the second cooler (one going back to trans with cool fluid) cut in a fitting for a temp gauge (this is a MUST!). I like B&M for this gauge, but theres plenty others. Install an aftermarket electric fan behind radiator pulling fresh air through. Install a switch for the fan, or you can even get a temp sender to do it for you, but I just watch the gauge and as soon as it creeps up I flip the switch. I've never had to stop plowing to let the fluid cool with this setup. You will be amazed at how fast working the plow will heat fluid up. This is why people always say plowing ruins automatics. I mean a ten minute driveway will get it up near the red in no time, going back and forth in 4wd with little or no airflow through the radiator. A big puller fan does wonders. Might cost about a hundred bucks to do this, takes an hour or two, but I will guarantee you will see what I mean when you start watching that gauge. Another trick I learned from an oldtimer who rebuilt transmissions, is to use 4 low. I have found that the trans temp runs far cooler in 4 low, no matter how much your pushing, because the trans just isnt working as hard. It's just a pain in the butt sometimes to use 4 low, when your doing a lot of forward and reverse, or a big area where you want to go faster. Try it on a job where you can utilize it though. I use it sometimes, when I can. I also dont use 4 high until I need to. I won't beat the truck by trying to stay in 2wd as long as I can, but for easy stuff there's really no need to stress everything. I know people who plow with 2wd trucks and dont have any trouble. I think a lot of people probably put it in 4wd when they get in the truck and leave it there until their done. Not me.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Have a Jasper put in it. I'm doing the same on my Ford.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't touch a Jasper (or any other mass-reproduced) engine or tranny... too many people working on it not knowing what the last guy did etc. Cheap parts.... not enough inspection.

I'd sooner find a reputable local shop. One guy does all the work, you specify what parts go in, etc.

Your truck should have the 4L60e, not the 80. The 60 has a square pan, the 80's is all funky shaped with 17 bolts, they cannot be confused.

There are lots of upgrades for the 60... just ask the shop. The main thing is to buy quality friction plates etc. not the cheapie bargain plates.

Remember, no tranny, no plowing, no income, and sooner or later no contracts because customers don't take excuses. They all feel their lot is #1 on your list of priorities.

Build the tranny right, even if it costs more. Definately add a quality cooler too. And change the fluid periodically.

5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

you truck has the 80 in it i'm sure. they started putting 80s in the 2500 in 92. i have one believe me. don't forget to add a shift kit. and definitely the cooler

6. The Boss

My buddy owns a local tranny shop and is going to remove my tranny and replace everything inside it with brand new Jasper parts for 2 grand with a warranty.

7. Trust Me

Trust me guys it is a 4L80E becasue my truck is actually a 2500HD old body style. I had the dealer run the vin, and yes i do change the fluid once a year! I was thinking a shift kit and better plates and possibly corvette valves cause i hear that makes a huge difference!

8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I would get a GM reman from the dealer with a 3yr 50k warranty. Install a new trans cooler at the same time. They are a little under 2 grand and will have all the latest updates in it. You could add a trans go kit which will help lots with the heat as well.
    Just don't try to flush the cooler as it will always have junk in it, they are cheap enough from the dealer and will pay off in the end.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Surprised to hear that they put the 80 behind a small block in a 3/4 ton... even the HD version.

Just to confirm though...
    http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm

You guys have pan #7, right?

Corvettes, as far as I know, don't use the 80. Not sure what is compatible with them.

Boss, what tranny are you building? I wasn't aware that Jasper made their own parts. Or do you mean that the parts are just being ordered thru them?

10. The Boss

I have the E40D. My buddy said he's going to gut my case and replace it with all Jasper parts. He's also replacing the torque convertor as well.

11. neetchracer

neetchracer Junior Member

If it has 8 lugs/wheel it is 99.9% of the time gonna be a 4L80-E. I am a tranny guy at a GM dealer. I would opt for a GM remanned, but if you can trust a local tranny guy then he should do fine. Lot's of problems with independents around here. 4L80-E's are the optimum trans for HD type applications. I bought a K2500 to plow with this winter, and I also have a motorhome that I pull my 32' enclosed trailer full of racecar and golf cart that I use almost everyweekend in the summer, both have 4L80-E's, I would'nt own anything else.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Any truck over 8600/8800 GVW got the 4L80E from '92 up until the Allison was introduced in '01.

They also used the 4L80E behind the 4.3

Make sure you flush the coolers in the radiator and the aux cooler in front. If not, it's like going to the beach getting sand in your suit, taking a shower and putting the sandy suit back on! :nono:

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

firstclass, just caught this post so it may be too late. Bring it over to O'Neills on old 28th St. They've been doing all our tranny work since late last winter. Did a Dodge for us in March, thing is stronger than it's ever been. Just put a shift kit and upgraded snap ring in a TorqShift with 9K on it and really made a difference with it. Other than not downshifting, it feels like it's in Tow\Haul all the time now.

I have to agree with Derek, stay away from the mass produced ones. Despite having a Jasper in the truck that got rebuilt last March. That one lasted longer than any of the junk rebuilds we got out of the dealer on that truck. This was after the repair shop that installed it didn't even make it back to our shop with the first Jasper.

14. TOO Late

Mark,
    You are too late! I talked with two people. Kevin Rosendal of Rosendal Snow and Turf and Doug Feringa of Grand Old's and the both said to go to Phil at "trans service plus" in Allendale. He does a lot of plow trucks and is VERY knolegable. He's going to add these things:

Shift kit
    Extra HD T Converter
    Better Friction Plates
    Bigger trans cooler

It won't be cheap, but it should work!payup

he says this tranny will be killer!
    - jon

15. Mark Oomkes

That's pretty much what O'Neills does too.

You're going to love it, nothing like a stock tranny. I couldn't believe how much power is lost through a stock tranny\TC after I got the one rebuilt this past spring.

16. Yup

So i got the call today......$2850.00!!!!! Apparntly i blew out my overdrive basket and in turn took out my torque converter AND pump....oops, well a gm remanufactured one installed would be 3000 and hes going to beef this one up AND warrenty it for 2 years NO MATTER WHAT I DO WITH MY TRUCK, TOW, PLOW, OR ANYTHING, i said beef it up!

17. Mark Oomkes

Actually, that's a pretty good price for having it built. I don't think I would ever do a tranny rebuild without doing the TC along with it. Unless it was just a reverse band or something similar.

Good idea staying away from the reman. Absolutely no comparison to a 'custom' built tranny. The only stock trannys I will run anymore are on brand new trucks. Even if it is under warranty I will be bringing it to a tranny shop.

18. SHould

I should get my truck back monday so I will let you know how the new tranny is!

19. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

how many miles can you expect a trans to last? My last ford had 120k on it before it had to be rebuilt, and the dodge had 80 on it when I sold it. and the other f150 has 132 and never rebuilt, and my chevy has 57k on it. The f150 I sold with 120 was used for plowing and my chevy is used for plowing and landscaping. So how long can I expect the trans in the chevy to last? BTW: every season its gotten a new filter and flush.

20. ?????

That IS the question! To tell you the truth, that tranny could die anytime between now and never! Mine showed absolutely no signs of going! all the sudden BAM! overdrive was gone. I have the 4L80E which the tranny guy said was one of the strongest trannys built, but mine failed. He also said he had never seen a 4L80E go that bad! A little plastic part broke. He says that it is the only tranny that he will say that its ok to tow in OD! but hey, just make sure you always save money for a blowup and pray it doesnt happen in the middle of a snowstorm!