1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny fluid

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rcgm, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

How often should you get your tranny fluid changed?I got 92 thousand miles on my truck I purchased it with 80 thousand on it.I recently did a tune up etc.What should I do for the tranny?Just change fluid and filter?Or flush? What about rear end?Sorry to be stupid but I know some about trucks just when it comes to tranny and rear ends I am clueless.Any help would be appreciated?Also you think I should go to dealer to have this done?They quoted me 300 dollars to flush change fluid and filter on tranny.What you think I should expect on rear end?And what should get serviced on rear end.

RCGM
    Brad

2. shux

shux Junior Member
    from midwest

RCGM, just had all cases, front rear diff, tranny and transfer done (75000miles) for $300.00 at a trans. shop.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if you dont have any papaer work as to regular maintance to the tranny like this then dont do it. with that many miles dont flush it. just do a filter kit. if you remove all the old fluid at this time you might have problems. if the tranny is internaly week the old fluid with junk floating in it acts like friction with the fluid. when you remove all of the junk fluid you might find out just how bad your tranny realy is.

if the fluid has been flushed on a machine before and the stuff is nice in color now but youjust want maitance done then you will mosty likly be safe.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we flush ours every fall before plowing which is about every 15 to 20 k miles....i willalso change the filters this year