1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny fluid info

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Henry0016, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Henry0016

Henry0016 Member

Im planning on change my trans fluid. I was wondering what i Should use and how much it takes.Also should i change any other fluids and what i should use also how much.I have a 2002 chevy 2500hd cc 6.0i think it is the 4 speed automatic not allison.

Also does anyone know what the tranny temp should be at.

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Automatic Transmission Fluid Capacity Unit Trans Type Liters Quarts Quantity Refers To Notes
    4L60E 4spd Transmission 4.7 5.0 Initial Refill After Service 3802
    4L80E 4spd Transmission 7.3 7.7 Initial Refill After Service 3802
    3802: With the ENG att operating temp, shift TRANS through all gears. Let ENG slow idle in PARK for att least 3 minutes. Check fluid level and add fluid as needed. Do not overfill.

Automatic Transmission Fluid Total Capacity Transmission Liters Quarts
    4L60E 10. 11.2
    4L80E 12. 13.6

Automatic Transmission Fluid Type Fluid
    AF3

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just go to a shop that has a power flusher unit? ( This is a device that hooks to your trans lines. The dirty fluid flows in the tank and the new clean fluid flows into your trans. It's about $100 and 15 minutes. )

4. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

i might be mistaken but power flushing does no good because you still have a dirty filter in your tranny.

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

It's a bit more expensive than listed above but a local Chevy dealer here does flush with filter for $160.

6. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have this done once per year. Good investment to keep the thing clean and strong for the longhaul. THe 4L80 isn't known to be bulletproof, but not a bad tranny either. Good peace of mind for me to have the flush.

7. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I service the trans (4L80E) in my daily driver and boat hauler (10K+ lbs) every 20-25k miles. Finally rebuilt it with 190K on the odometer.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I just did a filter gasket fluid change for 160