1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny fluid change Hot or Cold

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Nov 13, 2003.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Does it matter if you warm up the tranny fluid befrore changing it? (Like when you change the engine oil), Or just change it cold?
    This is in my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with 46RE Auto.

2. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

I don't think your trans. pan has a drain plug, which means that you'll be draining it by loosening the pan bolts a little at a time until the pan starts to drain. I would suggest that you do it with the oil cold this time. Get a BIG pan to catch all the oil & maybe some sand or kitty litter to clean up any spills. Its a messy job the first time :eek: While the pan is off, I suggest you get a drain plug installed so that changing the trans oil the next time won't be so messy. Changing the trans. oil is something alot of people over-look as a preventative maintance on their vehicles.

Good luck...:)

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Cold/warm is fine.....dont do it hot or you will be sorry as was said.

If you dont have a drain plug be prepared for a real treat. I also recomend taking your clothes to the dumpster or to the laundromat, it will really make a mess outa your washer.

Be prepared to be covered in ATF and looking like a murder victim.

Doing a home done flush at the cooler lines might not be a bad idea. I'm pretty sure you can do that with a new dodge trany but you might wana double check with the dodge boys.

4. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i just changed mine and it wasn't too bad. i used th top to a big plastic storage bin to drain the pan into. something like 5qts will come out. take your time with the pan or you WILL be sorry LOL!

i chnged my fluid cold, seems to flow better than motor oil.

don't forget to drain the torque converter (12qts?), flush the cooler lines (1qt), filter and pan gasket!

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if you plow with it
    might not be a bad idea to have it flushed
    at a trans shop or if your going to change it yourself
    get the parts from dodge
    the gasket is reuseable
    some aftermarket gasket arnt as good as the oem gasket

john
    :salute:

6. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Oil Drain

I always drain it hot It is much faster and gets more out before it thickens up.
    A good way to install a drain plug is to sharpen a punch to a slow taper, With the pan mounted drive the punch through the pan, Find a sheet metal screw that fits tight put a gasket under the head and screw it in tight. By driving the punch through rather than drilling, It dimples the pan in a little so the screw gets a good bite. I have done this dozens of times and have never had one leak and the head of the screw doesn't protrude much, It won't even need to be repainted. With the pan full of oil when the punch is driven in it seals the hole get the drain pan ready and pull the punch out and you won't lose a drop.
    Hyperpack

7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We have all our Ford trucks done at a shop with a fluid exchange machine. The problem if you don't is that you can't drain all the oil from the tourqe converter, valve body, cooler and lines. In reality you only change about 60-70%, leaving the old oil in to mix with the new. The exchange machines use the pressure from the tranny pump to push out the old, while drawing in the new. It changes 95% of the oil, which is close enough for me. We don't change the tranny filter this way, but it really is not much more than a screen anyway so it doesn't get plugged up like an engine oil filter. At 100K miles, we drop the pan, clean things out, change the filter, replace the oil and resume to the schedule of fluid exchange machines. We change our fluid every 25K, using regular dino oil. Some guys use Mobil 1, or Amsoil synthetic tranny oil and can extend the interval to 35-40K miles.

8. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

On the Dodge you can back off the valve body bolts about 2-3 turns and drain the fluid from the valve body, and check for a torque converter drain, my 98 V10 with 46re doesn't have one.
    The fluid should be warm, leave the front bolts till last and back them off a couple of turns each, the back of the pan will drop, draining the fluid, then holding the pan up with 1 hand undo the front bolts with the other, and dump the fluid from the pan, a large pan that holds 5-10 gt is needed.

Bill

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

So is there a reason not to disconect the inlet/outlet at the cooler and have the outlet puke into a bucket and have the inlet suck from a bucket of fresh fluid till its clean on a newer dodge? This is done with the truck in park ideling. This will flush out the whole trany just like the machine at a shop.

Hyperpack> thats a good shade tree type way to do things! :nod: Never thought of that before.

If it were me and I didnt have a plug I would definatly be tempted to pop a hole in the pan and let her drain. I would then drop the pan and install an actual plug into the pan instead of a screw but I'm sure the screw works ok.

BTW......be carefull when you drop the filter for 2 reasons. The little o ring guy is probably still in the trany and there is a chance(only if you managed to stay clean thus far :rolleyes: ) that there will be quite a bit of fluid held back by the filter and it will start to puking when you yank the filter catching you by supprise and drenching you for the first time. :realmad:

10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Dodges don't circulate fluid thru the cooler in park, it has to be in neutral, this is very important to remember if you overheat the tranny, don't stop plowing and put it in park, leave it in neutral till it cools.

Bill

11. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

"So is there a reason not to disconect the inlet/outlet at the cooler and have the outlet puke into a bucket and have the inlet suck from a bucket of fresh fluid till its clean on a newer dodge? This is done with the truck in park ideling. This will flush out the whole trany just like the machine at a shop"

That way works fine also. If you have a Ford, be sure the fluid is warm, or the bypass valve will spray the fluid out the disconnected port.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003