1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Coolers

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BIGGB9, Jan 13, 2011.

1. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

Hey guys have a few questions on my truck. It is a 2010 GMC sierra 1500 crew cab. It is a basic truck It did not come with a towing package but I did install a hitch and receptacle. Then when I decided to plow snow with it . I was wondering if I need tranny cooler. I know it does get cooled by the radiator now but is that enough. I do not plow for long period's of time. My highest trans temp has been 210 but drops back down to about 180 to 190 when I start driving. If I do need one is there any direct bolt on kits for my truck. Thanks Brian

2. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I would put one on, it cant hurt. I had one put on my 1500 so I don't know about the bolt on ones. I had mine put on so the oil flowed from tranny to radiator, to cooler and back to tranny.

3. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

on a plow truck a tranny cooler is a necessity; that is if you don't want to be replacing transmissions a lot. Overheated fluid is one of the top causes of tranny failure. a cooler is cheap insurance IMO.

4. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

This maybe a stupid question but should I get the biggest cooler I can fit, and would that mean I will have a low trans temp compared to a smaller trans cooler.

5. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

6. bill7101

bill7101 Member

Why would the external cooler have been hooked up backwards?
    When you hook one up you want it to be hooked up to run to cooler, radiator then trans, the radiator helps warm the fluid on the really cold days as wellas cool when really hot, if you cooled it down too much its not good for the trans either, have seen many shift problems in winter from guys who have eliminated the radiator cooling and went with just straight up external coolers because the fluid would not get warm enough.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you get a good tube and plate one. Those aluminum ones have no where near the efficiency to the tube/plate. The oem GM ones are tube and plate. But with the stock truck, do not get the biggest one you can buy. Over-cooling is worse than it running a lil warm. I have the biggest one hayden listed for mine, but I also have increased line pressure, adjusted shift points and a shift kit in my 4L80E. It ran hotter and the stock one just didnt cut it. Oem they are run trans to rad, rad to cooler, cooler to trans.

8. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Hook it up anyway you want, my tranny runs fine when it"s cold don't know about yours. You tranny will still have plenty of heat with the cooler hooked up last, but it keeps it cooler this way when the heat builds up. Don't eliminate the radiator.

9. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

Where did you guys get your kits at?

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

This is the one I put on all the trucks (4L80's) It does fit, you need to trim the filler piece between the grill and bumper because you need to shift the lines and cooler towards the drivers side about 4". You need to cut the upper mounting bracket and you need two 1/2"-3/8" reducer bushings for the lines. It dropped the temp 30* Also added a gauge, I think it's the one I listed.
    B&M 70274 - B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers
    Fluid Cooler, Engine, Transmission, Plate-Type, Aluminum, Black, 11 in. x 11 in. x 1 1/2 in.

Auto Meter 3552 - Auto Meter Sport-Comp Analog Gauges
    Gauge, Sport-Comp, Transmission Temperature, 100-250 Degrees F, 2 5/8 in., Analog, Electrical