1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny cooler

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DestroyerOfSenses, Mar 24, 2004.

1. DestroyerOfSenses

DestroyerOfSenses Junior Member

I was going to go grab a tranny cooler from Advanced Auto Parts. I don't need anything special do I? The thing isn't anything fancy, just your basic cooler. Is there a certain size I should get for my '94 Silverado? I was going to get the bigger one that says it's for an RV...Or should I consider ordering a better one from Summit?

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

if you are going to put it on a plow truck i would get one with a temp. sensing fan on it. becuase at the slower speeds during plowing (wich is were you will really heat up that tranny), you won't get much help unless there is a fan to blow the air threw it.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

just get the biggest honking one you can.

adding a temp guage would be a good idea IMO.

dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filter is a good idea and while you got the pan dropped add a drain plug if it dosnt have one.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would get one that is built just like a radiator. It will have cores and little tanks on each end. Much more efficient than the ones that just have a tube snaking through it...Chuck

5. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

I just put on a cooler w/ fan and remote filter w/ temp gauge on my th400 in dec.
    (from summit) And it works great, it runs between 180 and 220 degrees while plowing. I would get the biggest one possible.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  6. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

The better quality coolers (radiator design, not serpentine tube and fin) are often made by Long, Mfg. The best design is the Long Tru-Cool Low Pressure Drop (LPD). I think the biggest one is rated for a 28000 lb GVW truck and costs about $90. Most of their coolers include metal brackets to mount the cooler separate and spaced away from the A/C condenser.

I've never seen a Tru-Cool cooler with an electric fan, but its easy to add on if you find its needed.

This is the Long, Mfg. web site
    http://www.longmfg.com/web/longwebframework.nsf/home/web.trucool

Do a google search for Long Tru-Cool and you should be able to find several mail-order places that sell them. I think the B&M cooler may be a rebranded Long cooler also.

Bruce