1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny Cooler

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mpriester, Sep 15, 2015.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I just ordered this for my truck. It got around 180degrees on the hot days and i want it a little cooler. My tranny is fine and i want to keep it that way. I will give an update once i get it installed and do a fluid exchange to let anyone know how much it helped the temperature. It's a 6.0 gas with a 4L80E.

Tru-Cool LPD, thick cooler & standard installation kit
    # LPD4590 Truck & heavy duty to 28,000 GVW
    Low pressure drop cooler
    12 x 11 x 1 1/2 thick $121.75

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

peaking at 180 degrees is nothing to be concerned about. adding a tranny cooler may actually not allow the trans to reach optimal operating temperature and actually do more harm than good. additionally, moisture/condensation can and does collect in ATF and if proper temps are not reached, that moisture will not burn off.

I don't know the specifics regarding the optimal temperature for your truck/transmission, but generally peak temps of 180 degrees is nothing to worry about. some transmissions actually have a thermostat to ensure correct temps are reached. my advice is do your homework. cooler is not always better.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Some temper the fluid by running it threw a cooler//
    that is in the radiator, this also heats up cold fluid.

From TCI Website
    There's More To Coolers Than You Think:It's no secret that heat kills automatic transmissions. And in high-performance street-strip applications, the problem is especially acute. Small diameter torque converters coupled with stop-and-go traffic greatly increase the heat level in an automatic transmission. In most cases, the extra performance heat under the hood can have the same effect as heavy loads, trailer towing and desert conditions.

How hot is too hot? The ideal operating temperature for automatic transmission fluid is between 175 and 225° F. At approximately 240° F, important additives in the ATF begin to cook. The result is the formation of varnish inside the transmission. At approximately 260° F, internal transmission seals (which are typically manufactured from a polyacrylate material) begin to harden. The end results are leaks, both internal and external, simply because the seals lose their elasticity. At approximately 295° F, transmission clutch plates begin to slip because the oil is breaking down further. At approximately 315° F, seals and clutches effectively burn out. Carbon forms in the oil and for all intents and purposes, the transmission is junk. Just for your information, a typical transmission will die within 2000 miles if subjected to 300° F+ heat.

ps with synthetic atf, cold is not that big if an issue.

heatchrt.jpg

transmission-coolers-2.jpg

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

do you suppose you could run plow fluid in the trans in the winter?

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

sure, some use it year around in their transmissions, (most) some all ready use atf as plow fluid.
    2 birds one stone.

6. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I have done my homework. Thats why i'm adding a little bigger cooler.

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

thats a great chart from a trusted transmission authority. good info. looks like the OP is right where he needs to be.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not that I disagree on 180 being a acceptable, Chevys tend to overheat just hooking up to the plow.

I guess it can't hurt

9. A GM pickup with plow prep and an electric engine cooling fan will start the fan when the transmission temp sensor hits 225 degrees F. TCI and TransX are in business to make money---sell you things. Take their advertising with a grain of salt, but the big words 175 to 225 optimal says it all. Keep it under 225 and flush and replace the ATF every 50K along with your transfer case and diff fluids. If the truck lives an easy life, no plowing, towing, heavy loads etc. go 100K.

10. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

update

It has lowered my tranny temp approximately 30deg. while towing which is exactly what i was hoping for and it shifts like it's suppose to.