1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny cooler

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wawuce, Dec 13, 2003.

1. wawuce

wawuce Member

i am getting my tranny rebuilt this week. i have a tranny cooler on it and it's at least 5 yrs. old. would it be wise to replace it with a new one and what should i look for in one?:confused:

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you are going to replace the cooler, get the biggest you can find. Plowing snow is death for transmissions. Also, invest in a heavy duty torque converter. This will help keep the trans cooler also.

3. PARTSMGR

PARTSMGR Member

Cooler

Ok-- get the biggest tranny cooler you can get-- synthetic Atf will help keep things cooler- Make sure you have the tranny cooler after the in radiator tranny cooler. Otherwise you are just reheating trans fluid. A good shift kit will help keep things cool. Shift faster and things don't heat up as much. One thing to keep in mind- make sure your trucks thermostat is working- an overheating engine will heat up your trans fluid to the point where even the cooler will not keep it cool. good luck