1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny cooler

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by OneBadDodge06, Nov 12, 2011.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

My brain is on permanent vacation and I'm not really sure.....I have an 06 Cummins and I wanted to add a tranny cooler since it gets toasty but my question is this.....does it already have one in front of the radiator or is it like the typical style of one built into the radiator? Thanks.

2. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

most of the time its not built in to the rad. on that truck in would be mounted in front of the ac condensor. does the truck have a factory tow package?

3. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I believe it does. Which leads me to believe that there is in fact a cooler in front of the condensor. Thanks.

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck should have one on the front of the truck.

How hot does it get?

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

If it has gotten toasty once, the damage is done. Typicially things don't get that hot untill just before total failure. Have you ever ran a hp programmer ???

6. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

Do you have a double deep pan? Id give that a shot too. Holds extra fluid and typically made out of alu with cooling fins on them that dissipate the heat better.

7. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

It'll get around 212 before I'll put it in neutral and let it sit for a while. I thought of adding a deeper pan to it but I had other people tell me on another site it would be more efficient to get an aux tranny cooler instead. Pans are freakin expensive.....almost $400 but a cooler is around $100.

I do run a PMT on it but in stock mode pushin snow. I run it mainly to keep an eye on the tranny temp.

8. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

You can get a way better deep pan for way less then $400 I just added a mag-hytec to my built trans they cost about 270 http://www.xtremediesel.com/mag-hytec727-ddtransmissionpan.aspx And well worth it. All the guys on the cummins forums run them and rave about how much they dropped temp. Also a 100 dollar cooler isnt worth squat you need a cooler with a fan on it that you can remote mount. The cummins already has a cooler built into the rad so adding a cheap cooler int front of the rad will do you no good. I thought about adding a cooler but after talking with my tranny guy DTT performance trans he said he would highly doubt I would need it pushing show if i added a double deep pan

9. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

10. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Thanks guys for all your help.....I'll see about adding one next winter......I'm hanging up the plow for this season.....just not feeling it.

11. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

212 sounds a little high for a tranny. you might have a sighlty plugged up cooler.

12. John_DeereGreen

I don't get worried until I start to see 220 or so, and I've only seen that one time towing and I wasn't paying attention pulling a hill with the converter unlocked and 15K behind the truck.

I guess we will see how this plow season goes...

13. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

Hi Guys, this is my first post here.

On the trans cooler, keep in mind high heat in an automatic trans is a "result of" slipping.
    So if you think adding a bigger cooler will save you –it won’t. A cooler should keep a trans at 175 to 225. A synthetic fluid will extend your trans life and be more stable.

If Dodge owners changed their valve body and toque converter before they had problems ....they probably will never have problem.
    If your heat is going up in your transmission and the engine temp isn’t, run don’t walk to have it repaired or upgraded.
    I hope this helps.

14. John_DeereGreen

Got to argue with you on this one here...

Most heat generated in a transmission is coming from the torque converter before lock up. Once the converter locks, heat (read:slippage) in the transmission drastically drops.

Case in point...my 04: It has a full billet Suncoast transmission in it; it gets just as hot as my old stock transmission did, and I KNOW my Suncoast isn't slipping...

Agreed on the valve body and torque converter change. The factory stuff is JUNK!

15. Steve8511

Steve8511 Junior Member

Hmmm... yeah maybe.
    Or keep in mind that fluid doesn't flow with the converter locked, which could be the heat generation on a suncoast.
    But I'll give you that, but if someone has a stock trans, what I said holds true.
    Good comment! :nod: