1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny cooler

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by yako, Oct 31, 2003.

1. yako

yako Member

i noticed on my 01 f250 i have a power steering cooler and not a transmission cooler. i want to add one on the the vehicle. is there anyone who has done this and how the mounted it. it appears to me it will be a tight fit with both of the coolers moounted. any feedback i would appreciate

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You should be able to get one in there somewhere.Get the biggest one you can find.

It can mount directly to the rad,with those ziptie type things,or one brackets.I'd personally make brackets for it so you don't risk damage to the rad.

3. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

Take a look at an F250 with a factory cooler and see how they routed the lines and where they mounted the cooler. You can also determine where the lines split so they can be routed through the external cooler.

On my Expedition I had metal cooler lines, but there was a short section of rubber line (6-8") and this was where the factory lines split and routed to the external cooler. I cut the factory metal crimp fittings off, flared the metal line slightly, and used rubber hose (came with the new cooler) to run the lines for the external cooler.

The most efficient coolers are the B&M or the Tru-Cool Low Pressure Drop coolers, which use the same stacked plate design as the factory coolers. I was able to fit a Tru-Cool LPD cooler that was rated for 28k GVW, using the metal straps to suspend it an inch or two away from the condenser and just behind the grill.

Bruce

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Buy a 24,000# GVW rated cooler or better. You can also get a stock one from a V-10 they are good too. Check the junk yards for the V-10 one and have it flushed before installing it.

5. yako

yako Member

thanks

i bought one for 26000+gvw. it was only $40. now i just have to install it and finish mounting the unimount on. we just replaced 4 ujoints, cv joint. hopefully by mon. night i will be able to relax until the first snow. nothing like pulling everything together at the last minute. by the way we were working on the truck tonight and it was 17 degrees. i think the first one is coming soon.