1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny cooler question.....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rferoni, Aug 16, 2003.

1. rferoni

rferoni Junior Member

I just bought a 1995 F250 supercab 4x4 5spd. There is NO transmission cooler at all. Is it possible to put one on? If so, what is a good brand, and how much would it cost? thanks,

ron

2. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

i dont think there is a way to put a cooler on it.i do not think there is a pump in it to pump the fluid to the cooler.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Do you have a PTO cover on that trans ? If so you could run a fast cooler,which bolts on the side.IT is really only beneficial for long heavy towing.Standards don't get too hot when plowing,unless your doing long roads with lots of snow.

4. rferoni

rferoni Junior Member

I don't think there is a pto on it. I don't even know what one looks like, but nothing under the truck looks odd to me so I don't think it has a PTO. I don't plow, but I will be towing every now and then. I will be using the truck to tow a 25ft. 5'er or a 10ft slide in camper w/3000 lb. boat....maybe 5-7 weekends a year.

ron

5. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

try this site for identifying the transmission in your truck.

ive been towing a 19 ft boat since the day i bought it in 95.ive changed the trans fluid every 30.000 and added a quart of lucas oil stabilizer in it,and i have over 135,000 miles on it,including the clutch.ive towed a few heavy things with it,with no problems so far.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

For what your pulling,there is no need for a cooler on your truck.

If your really concerned,you could switch to a good full synthetic oil for better protection.Try to find something that meets or exceeds the proper fluid recommendations by the manufacturer.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Just to add to your comfort, I towed and/or hauled loads with my '97 F-350, which I believe had the same 5-speed tranny, often grossing over 25,000 pounds with no tranny problems at all. I sold the truck with 70,000 miles for a bigger one.

8. rferoni

rferoni Junior Member

Pelican,

Did ya have a tranny cooler?? Also, does anyone know how I tell what Transmission is on the truck?

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

No, I had no cooler. It was the 5-speed overdrive manual, they used the same one in all the F-250s (HD in '97) and F-350s.

In a manual transmission, the oil is only used to lubricate and cool to an extent. It's not used to mechanically move the vehicle as in an automatic, so much less heat is generated in the first place. Some heat is generated from the movement between gears but not nearly as much as in the autos.

Last I knew, even the NASCAR cars didn't have transmission coolers, although they have rear end coolers. Big Class 9 trucks sometimes have rear end coolers, but not transmission coolers. I wouldn't be concerned.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  10. rferoni

rferoni Junior Member

Thanks for your input!!

ron

11. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

some class 8 trucks have trans coolers,they are not as predominately displayed,some are under the vehicle mounted on the trans,some are mounted behind the cab,some are infront of the air to air,where as some transmissions do not have coolers.the higher horsepower engines have the coolers,the big 525cats,detroits,and cuminngs do.the heavier spicier driveline has all that due to they are rated for 600+ horse.

ive felt my trans after towing the 200 miles from the lake with the boat in tow,it wasnt that hot to the touch,bareable.seen small garbage trucks with the same trans in it,and never had a failur in them,and they generate a lot of heat with the pto in and stop and go driving.

just change the flud as specified in the manual,every 30k or so,you wont have any problems.