1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny coolant line leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, Jan 22, 2011.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Noticed this morning that my 07 Chevy 2500hd has a couple drops of tranny fluid on the pavement. Took a peak underneath and it looks like one of the lines is eaking at the crip, where the aluminum meets the rubber. Its been colder than hell las t night well below zero, so i'm sure that may have something to do with it. We got snow coming in tomorrow night and nobody stocks these in my area. Chevy dealer can get me in monday afternoon but that doesn't do me any good for plowing snow Sunday night. My question is should I not use the truck until this is fixed or would it be ok to plow with it? My gut feeling is not to use it but i'm not a mechanic.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the infamous GM crappy tranny lines crimp club.They ALL leak.GM knows about it too and they have their ''new and improved'' version out but trust me--DO NOT GET IT. 1 or all 3 lines,doesn't matter,they are still leakers as GM has only slightly improved the crimp design.Yes,you are right,the cold weather will make them weep more,mine was a weeper for over a year.You will usually be fine,there have been extremely few that have had a line actually blow apart.There are SEVERAL ways to fix the problem but for app. $150 I solved mine by throwing all 3 lines out and getting all flexible hydraulic lines from Red's Auto Rehab on Ebay. Money well spent,4 hours for the install and my parking space has been bone dry for 2 months now. PM me if you want for more details.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Good to hear. I'm just a little paranoid, I wouldn't want tthat thing to burst and not know about until its too late. My '99 had to have the cooler lines replaced but they leaked up at the couplers. I don't think there is a gauge that even tells you when its low is there, mine doesn't have a temp gauge. Send me a pm about those lines, mine is not a Duramax so do they make those for the 6.0?

4. tuney443

You can ask Red the question on Ebay,but he only has the 3 piece kit for the Allison advertised.You can go to a reputable hydraulic repair shop and either have them fab up complete new 1 piece hydraulic lines or they can cut out your rubber section and put a new heavier short hydraulic hose using either flare,compression,silver soldered in fittings, or AN type fittings to connect to your solid tubing lines. Whatever you decide,change all of your lines that have the crimps as they will eventually all leak.Not sure exactly what you have there.

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Dealer mechanic says both are leaking, so i orderd them both. They say the job takes 3.5hrs and total for the job will be $550. Has anyone changed these out themselves on a 6.0? I was thinking about having my uncle do it as he used to be a mechanic. Dealer says the bumper has to come off, quite frankly I can't see why. They also said that you lose alot of tranny fluid, how much should I have on hand to do this ourselves? Any help would be apreciated.

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I just had both lines on my 01 2500HD done and it was like 220 parts and labor. I would shop around.

7. tuney443

Your new lines will leak also.Whether it's the Allison or another GM tranny,doesn't matter,ALL those GM crimps are absolute garbage.And I would stay far far away from that stealer--the bumper does not need to come off and you will only lose app. 2 qts. of ATF.Why don't you PM B&B for how he repairs those leaky lines by cutting out that factory rubber line and retro fitting all new hardware and flex lines.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

No way does the bumper need to come off. The grill yes, bumper no. I got the gm lines and they ran me about 70 bucks total for all 3. Took me a lil over an hour and a couple beers in my driveway.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Thanks guys. Now I really feel like I'm getting hosed by the dealer. We will definately be doing this ourselves. I can't see how they figure 3.5 -4 hrs in labor, doesn't add up to me. I'm going to check into getting the flex lines replaced with hydraulic hoses and fittings. WTF doesn't GM do this from the start? Thanks for the info.

10. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

the dealers always hose ya....

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Ha ha.
    Have you tried Napa, Factory Motor Parts, or Rock Auto. You can do them yourself, you will cuss a little but should take you no more than 2hrs doing it on your back if you have access to a hoist it's pretty quick

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I tried Oreily's, they said it was a delaer part and they can't get them. I ordered the parts through GM. I'm going to take the old ones and try to find a hydraulic shop that can put in new flex lines and keep these for the next time for a spare set. We don't have a decent hyraulic shop close by that I know of so, I'll have to do some checking.

13. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Had lines replaced on my 07 3500HD Dmax a few months ago. Dealer charged about $600. After reading this I guess they'll be leaking again in the future. Sure won't go to the dealer nextime.

14. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You couldn't get a 3500HD in 07'. It bugs me when everyone calls everything a HD

15. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Sorry buddy, but you're wrong. The '07 "Classic" was 3500. The '07 "New Body Style" is 3500HD, it's displayed on both doors, and I did get one. Just calling it what it is to be accurate on here.

16. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

mine leaks too

my 2007 chevy 3500 duramax leaks too...dealer wanted close to $700 to replace....7k miles past warranty......i"lll just refill it...they can kiss my ass on this POS!

17. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive cut 100s of crimps and used hose clamps Never had a problem Also changed plenty of lines with new ones They last quite a long time either way. U just got to know what ur doing when cutting the crimps.

18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

We changed mine last saturday took about 2 hrs I think. The hardest part was trying to find one clip when it popped out. lol Discovered that the engine cooler line is leaking, at the crimp. :realmad: Its going to have to wait though.

19. tuney443

Let's see,go get another factory new POS line that will not leak for awhile or go to the aftermarket or fab up some nice hydraulic lines that will most likely never leak and are cheaper priced than factory and will take app. the same amount of time for the install.:confused:

20. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011