1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny blew 1,500 miles after waranty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SDlawndawg, Dec 3, 2002.

1. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

The 4R100 in my '01 Superduty broke on Sunday. From what I've been told it is a planetary gear that's part of a clutch of some sort. Whatever it is, it's gonna need a rebuild. $1800 to $2200. What has frustrated me is that I'm 1,500 miles past the 36,000 mile warranty so my dealer has basically told me I'm screwed. He said that they won't even consider warranting it because I'm not a loyal customer. Loyal meaning that I have done all the service work myself and that they don't have any record of service on file. When he said that I just about lost it. I told him I was loyal enough by slapping down 30 large for my truck. Then I told him to go to hell!

Have any of you run into this problem and has ford done anything? I'm really, really, reeeeaaally frustrated!
    :realmad:

2. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

SDlawndawg,

Before you lay down $2200 for a rebuilt, look into tranny from Brian at Brians Truck Shop . He makes 4R100's bullet proof. All the guy's running big HP have one. I'll have one shortly also. $3200 and you will never have to worry about anything:D 2 year unlimited mileage, unlimited Horsepower, unlimited abuse warranty:drinkup:

Greg

3. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Thanks for the info but I'm already stretching my budget.

4. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Call Brian anyway!

He cuts a break when your giving him a low milage core;)

Also, he will be able to tell you EXACTLY what's wrong and what you should REALLY pay to get it fixed, even if you don't get one from him:)

Greg

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I agree with Dockboy, if you want the job to last, call Brian.

I had a '94 F-350 dump that blew the tranny 3 days over the 3year warranty, but 4000 miles under the milage limit. I also, but did my own servicing, but had my buddy make up an invoice from his repair shop to satisfy Ford. They paid for half the job, it still cost me $1100 and 2 weeks down time.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We had a reverse gear go in a 99 Ranger 2K out of warranty. Ford covered 75%. Go over this guys head and direct to the ford warranty dept. Next time get the extended warranty if you plan on keeping a truck. Just one tranny or t case and you will break even on the extra cost. You dont have to buy the warranty when you buy the truck either, as long as you are under your original 3/36 you add the extended warranty at any time.
    Dino

7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Well, I had it towed from the dealer to a local tranny shop down the road so I could at least get it back on the road. They tore into it and found a c-clip that let go and let the planetary gear for reverse self-destruct. The problem is that the part of the tranny housing where the piston slides back and forth is possibly damaged but they are having trouble deciding whether to replace the whole housing or not! I couldn't feel any scratches myself except on the rim of it. I can't believe the whole tranny housing would have to be replaced over just a little scratch. It's gonna be big money because I'll have to get a whole new rebuilt from Ford.

I talked to the rep. from Ford about my situation and he said for my dealer to turn over the receipts to the regional Ford manager (she's on vacation of course) and she will take care of it from there. The rep. said that it doesn't look good but it's worth a try.

Maybe I'll give this Brian guy a call if I have to get a whole new tranny.

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I'd hound Ford. They should do something for you. You can buy a warranty on-line for a reasonable price. Try warrantybynet or warrantywizard.

9. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I called Brian. He knows his transmissions pretty good. He knew exactly what broke and what updates I need. He recomended a transgo shift-kit too. I wish I had time to order it and put it in but I'm out of time and out of money. Gotta get Big Red back on the road. I'm sending all the receipts to the Ford regional rep. and hopefully they'll do something about it.

10. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Don't scare me, I just went past 36k today......

11. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

chtucker- be afraid, be very afraid. Or just be careful when you throw it in reverse. :D

12. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

Always try customer service with out of warrenty concerns be polite and throw out that you have bought numerous new vehicles from them I have seen many repairs covered 1000 2000 10000 miles out of warrenty

and yes some times the tiniest of scratches and flaws will cause big problems with an automatic

13. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

:realmad: :realmad:

I am friggin DOOMED!

Truck died on the way to work today. 36,267 miles.....

I thought it might be the fuel, but I changed the filter, drained the filter, added additives to the tank and the filter and NOTHING, can't keep it running.

Going to mess with it after work tonight...

Free road side asssitance ended at 36,000 miles

Oh, and I have not hot water at my house either....

My life sucks.

14. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Thanks staley. I'm gonna try my best. It's tough keeping a smile on my face though and pretending to be polite.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck chtucker. Keep your receipts and be glad that it is only a possible fuel problem.

15. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

At $3200 for his trany real heavy duty get it!!! we run a fleet of Powerstrokes and have replaced all 4 transmissions and have now found a guy that really bulids them up good. If your going to plow, haul and tow and are gonna keep for at least 2 more years get it! Or in 2-3 years you will be dishing out another 2k plus and all that down time!

16. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger Junior Member

Wow....I hope you can get these trucks with standard transmissions also...if my wife ever lets me buy a new one, I don't want an automatic....not after reading this!!!

Good luck lawndog and chtucker!!!

Phil

p.s. on the extended warranties, I've found that you are much better off buying one through the dealer than from an "aftermarket" warranty place....It's come in handy on my wifes minivan a couple times....we had a Wynn's warranty on one of her older cars...completely worthless....

17. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We also had to rebuild a 5spd Chevy on a 1999 model costed almost as much as the automatic.

18. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger Junior Member

ehehehe...ya but that's a Chevy!!! :D

I blew the 5 speed out of my 88 F150 a couple years ago...A rebuilt unit was between $1100-1500....

I'm sure the cost hasn't gone down any though with the newer trucks...through the roof is more like it...

Phil

19. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

The total came to $2,642. That puts a dent in the wallet. I wanted to fabricate a landscape dump-trailer over the winter but now I've got to put that on hold for now. Thanks alot Ford.

I'm sending out the reciepts and a persuasive letter to the regional manager. I'm not expecting Ford to cover everything but I would hope they pick up at least 50% of the bill.

20. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

In my conversations about a lousy stinky 272 miles they stood their ground VERY firm, your warranty ends at 36k, no exceptions. I just wanted reach through the phone and choke someone.

Howard