1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny bit it...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Crazy_Eddie, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Ironic..

I had the truck at Aamco, they said they were getting a computer code and couldn't find the problem, they suggested I take the truck to a dealer.
    Dealer scans it and finds no codes, they suggest a new tranny with a pricetag of $2800. I tell them not to touch the truck, that I will be by later to pay they for the scan and pick it up.
    I call Aamco up and tell them what the dealer tells me, he says "bring it by and I'll see what I can do". At this point the truck still shifts, but is slow to shift into 2nd from first and won't downshift from 3rd to 2nd; regardless it's still drivable. That was last wednesday.
    Thursday morning I go to get into my Toyota to go to work and smell a foul odor, I realize the cooler I had the back full of tuna from a fishing trip earlier in the week must have leaked so I'll take the truck into the office, it's all highway after all.
    On the way home after going through the toll for the tunnell on I95 I notice the engine is revving high. I pull over to find the truck won't shift into second at all; I manage to make it home on back roads..
    Talk to Aamco toady and they say they need to pull the tranny and will call me back with a price.
    Depending on what they quote me I'm going to do 1 of 2 things, either have them fix it (I'd like some feedback on this considering this tranmission is an Aamco rebuild from 15 mos. ago) or go with the $1200 quote I got from another guy to totally rebuild the tranny from top to bottom with all upgraded parts and a heavy duty torque converter.
    If I go with the total rebuild, do you guys have any suggestions as to what parts I should opt for, i.e, brand, etc..

Sorry for the long post, i guess I just needed to vent..

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'd go with the other guy. I havent heard much praise about anything Aamco has had their hands on. I think all they do is replace the parts that need to be replaced. I had mine completely rebuilt top to bottom, inside out. Only cost me $1700 with a 15k warranty.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

id go with the the other guy
    whats his warranty

where did you catch the tuna
    i run out off hatteras once a yr for tuna
    john

4. Crazy_Eddie

Crazy_Eddie Member

Other guys warrenty is 1 year, which could be 20k miles for me.

I the last 3 weeks I've been out to the Poorman's Canyon out of Ocean City MD twice. First trip went 14 for 17 hookups on yellow fins up to 70 lbs and the second we went 7 for 12 with 5 longfin up to 50 lbs and 2 yellowfin up to 40lbs. All fish were caught chunking just short of the 100 fa line. They should be there for a couple more weeks (crossing my fingers)..
    Hows the bite down south?

-e

5. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Pull it out yourself, and it'll save you about 500 bucks. At least its that way around here. I'd try a multistate trans shop or another chain trans shop. I have a friend that works at an Aamco and he says they arent so good.

Tony

6. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

either find a new guy to rebuild your tranny, buy a heavier vehicle to pull the cargo you are hauling or change your driving habits. 15 months on a rebuild is pitiful. something is wrong.:eek: