1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny/Axel Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kca'57-3600, Jul 25, 2001.

1. kca'57-3600

kca'57-3600 Junior Member
    from Idaho

I have a '57 -3600 Chevy. I am going to put a rolling 4x4 frame under the body. The original rearend is a 4.57:1 ratio. It has a BB (cc??) in it now. I had planned on using 4.10 or 4.11 rear and front axels with a Np205 and Th400 tranny. It has been suggested that I consider going with the 700R4 tranny and NP208 for better top and bottom end, while maintaining better milage (it is going to be a daily driver).

Questions:
    1. Should I stay with the 4.57 and how difficult is it to find the matching front end?
    2. Any idea where to get the front axel that would match the original and how expensive will it be?
    3. Should I go TH400 or 700R4?
    4. What should I do about the axel ratios?
    5. Anything else that I should know about ahead of time?
    Kent - '57-3600

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

One thing to consider would be, how hard do you plan on working the truck - either as a work vehicle or some heavy-duty off-roading. If it's going to be daily driver and not go off-road, you don't really need the extra strength the T-400/205 will offer.

I'm biased in favour of heavy-duty, I plan on putting a 4x4 frame with 1-ton axles under my '75 dually at some point in time. I plan on using a 4-speed with a 205.

What's your wheelbase? If it's close to the 131.5" of your typical 8-foot bed Chevy truck, I'd suggest looking for a heavy 3/4-ton truck with the 4:10/4:11 axle ratio you mentioned. That way everything is already a matched set, on the frame & everything. Even modifying the frame length if required isn't really that difficult.

Not sure where you'd find something to match the 4.57:1 axle.