1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tranny 6.2 diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cliff Castro, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Cliff Castro

Cliff Castro Junior Member
    from 94901

I have a 6.2 diesel in my 92 flat bed and I want to install a turbo 400.
    can anyony tell me the difference with diesel and non diesel transmissions and what should I be looking for?
    Thanks Cliff

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

There is no difference between gas and diesel . Only if its 4wheel drive is there a difference on transfer case spline count and such.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Aren't the valve bodies setup differently so the diesel can shift earlier? I wouldn't want to do a full throttle upshift in a 6.2 at 5500rpm!

4. Cliff Castro

Cliff Castro Junior Member
    from 94901

I was told there was a diffrence in tranny's because of the RPM diffrence.
    if there is a diffrence would it be in the gearing or in the valving? and could a gas tranny be converted? thanks for responding. Cliff

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

A diesel does not rev as high as a gasser, therefore the shift points have to be lowered. The convertor may be a lower stall speed too, not sure.

I see no reason why a gas tranny couldn't be recalibrated or have the valvebody replaced entirely with a diesel unit. The internals should all be the same.

Ideally, you would just start with the right tranny in the first place.

Talk to people at a tranny shop (a KNOWLEDGABLE one, not one that specializes in just stock rebuilding or exchange), see if they know more about recalibrating it. I would imagine the valving and body itself are identical, just different tension springs controlling it.