1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tranny (2nd gear) is gone !

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by maximus44, Jan 8, 2007.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Hi guys,I have a 98 Dodge 3500 diesel,dually with a Cummins in it.
    I took it to Mr.Transmission and they told me that 2nd gear is gone.
    They might just need to replace a band,or they might need to do a re-build!!
    Should I let them rebuild the torque converter too(dont know if this is really necessary,or they just want the extra cash)?
    Secondly,do you guys think that I should install a "shift kit" to improve shifting?

2. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

What tranny is in it ? AND always get a new torque converter when rebuilding a tranny ALSO INSIST the cooling lines and cooler are FLUSHED prior to install of new tranny..

3. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

The tranny is a 3 speed aotomatic,with an overdrive.
    I should get a new torque converter?
    What can go wrong if i dont?tymusic

4. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I am guessing you went there because you had a tranny problem ? Or did you show up for a fluid change and where told ya had no second gear ?

And the T/C can deposit small shavings into the new transmission...causing valve body sticking and premature failure of hard parts in the unit it self..DON'T skimp..And the bull crap ya need a band is usually a set up statement..The old Chrysler units and some Ford trannies could have a band issue where the servo that applies it cracks,or the band it self breaks..BUT with out knowing what series unit you have I am doubting that is your issue..

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

dont let them half a$$ reman it with just a band or clutch pack.

do a full reman job with reman or new convotor. and flush all lines and coolers.

if you realy like the truck and plan to keep it and run it for what its built for and that motor will put out. i rec a reman tranny form a shop that sells those hop up parts for oil burnnin trucks. thay now the week points much better than std tranny shops. also there convrtors and built with multiply clutches and forged hubs in the housing. this all makes 200-300 more holding capacity in over drive. stock only have 1 disc in there. it dont take much to burn it up.

this might cost a few more bucks but if it were me i would do it and never realy think about it again.

this is some good info and just a place to start. http://www.bd-power.com/ram/product.php?pn=Transmission Kit&tt=ram

also try www.towrig.com for some good info on the oil burnner trucks.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

get a second opinion before someone tells you you need a new trans and you may also get a cheaper estimate out of it

7. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Trans

maximus, were are you in T.O. I know of a great tranny shop in Scarbough that do alot of work on Dodge cummins trucks If you like I can give you there name and number, they'll do a good job for you.

tymusic

8. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

By the way, I had a real bad experiance with a Mr T shop once, NEVER again!

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get a new one. If they say they are going to rebuild it there full of SH!T!!
    You/they do not rebuild them.....

The fluid it the converter can be contaminated, The converter can be damaged by the junk in the fluid and the heat generated from a failing tranny.
    Cost, how much is it going to cost you to replace the converter after you have a new tranny installed and then it goes bad possibly taking the new tranny with it.

10. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Thanks "Fatboy",I'm in woodbridge,and have no problem going to Scar...
    Even have soft body armour,lol
    feel free to call me at (416)606-3244 thanks

11. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Unless you have nothing but good recommendations, I wouldn't go to a chain tranny shop. Find a good hole in the wall mom and pop place that has been there for years and years. They aren't stuck with quotas and minimum sales.

A second quote is a good idea as someone mentioned above.

Jason

12. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Indeed. Get a second opinion.

Did they confirm 2nd is mechanically gone? If it is an electronically controlled transmission, then it might be just a bad solenoid or wiring.

For example, I picked up a Trans Sport van and I was told the transmission was on its way out. Not a biggie since I can work on cars. Sometimes it would lose 4th gear and the torque converter clutch, and sometimes it would slip or shudder. Turned out it was just bad wiring connections to the solenoids. After fixing that it works much better, and Ive also towed my travel trailer 1600 miles with it since then and no problems.

Also about 10 years ago with the 6000, the torque converter kept kicking in and out constantly. A GM trans shop told me I needed a new torque converter clutch solenoid, a $400 job by them. I said Ill think about it. Turned out it was the thermostat, stuck open it ran cool and kept kicking in and out of warmup mode. $6 later it was perfectly fine.

13. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

I've got a place in mind like that,but after talking to AAMCO,they did a pretty good job of telling me how they're gonna update parts inside the tranny,and use bigger valve bodies.
    Seems like the more I look into it, the harder it is to make a decission as to who I should take it to.
    I got a price of $1700 from the old "mom and pop" guy. this includes a "new" torque converter.
    and shift kit. I got a price of $2,500 from MR TRANSMISSION,and 2 different prices from AAMCO.
    What you guys think?tymusic

14. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Oh,and btw,Mr Transmission sis hook it up to their diagnostic which told them that 2nd gear was not holding.

15. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If that is all they did to test it, that right there should be all you need NOT to use them.

One thing you never mentioned. How does the truck drive?

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Did you notice a problem with 2nd gear? I would hope you would have noticed something wrong.

I don't know on a '98, but on the older trannies if you lost 2nd you also lost 3rd. This might be different on electronic trannies, though.

I'm with the rest, get a complete rebuild and new torque convertor. Definitely add a shift kit and anything else that will make it stronger if you are keeping this truck for any length of time.

17. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

AAMCO any one know what that stands for ?

A= All
    A= Automatics
    M= Must
    C= Come
    O= Out

I was with a direct competor,,Lee Myles,,years ago..The founder of Lee Myles was an Ex corporate executive from aamco ...There company philosophy and name sake is based exactly on what I have shown above.

Usually There re-builders are top notch BUT to know which AAMCO has top notch builders call the local BBB see which one has the least complaints :) .

There is no joke with a trany, It is a difficult purchases because there are so many moving parts that MUST make a 100% seal and so many tolerances that have to be checked and or made to work within certain limits..

Usually a tranny with a bad second will have a bad 4th or a bad reverse..Depends on the tranny type..YOU HAVE yet to say what brought you to a tranny shop to begin with :) and you have not told us what tranny is in the truck..

Jasco Rebuilds are top notch by the way .. And there pre-tested before there shipped..

18. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

I think the tranny is a 47RE.
    Here's what happens: from a stand still,if I accelerate slowly,the tranny usually shifts ok,but when I accelerate harder,the tranny stays in first. I can get it to shift if i come off the gas,shift neutral ,then back into drive.
    all the other gears are fine,reverse is fine too
    Thoughts ?

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It isn't the band. If the band was shot, you'd never get it into 2nd gear no matter what. I don't think you'd get out of first gear.

I actually had decent luck with a Jasper on one of my trucks. Won't do it again, but it lasted longer than any of the ones my dealer rebuilt\replaced.

20. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Have it checked for codes,and they can also look at the data while it's on the scanner.

Sounds like you may have an internal leak,or maybe the gov solenoid or pressure transducer is bad.They can also become plugged with clutch fuzz.

Some good diagnosis with a pressure gauge would help.Try to find a reputable trans shop who knows what to look for,and will spend the time to diagnose it without selling you a rebuild.

I googled that unit and came up with above post,,makes a lot of sense...Have it checked :)