1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tran Cooler blew - how to clean engine mess

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rbergevine, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Transmission cooler sprung a leak and then the fan and belts put it everywhere... did I mention EVERYWHERE? Any suggestion on best way to clean the mess other than lots of old rags and reaching everwhere I can ?
  2. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I,ve used a pressure washer and SIMPLE GREEN on tractors with a lot of success.
  3. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

With all the electrical connections i would use simple green and "city" pressure for rinsing.
  4. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

gunk engine degreaser works well too.
  5. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I would go to you local self serve car wash, and use either simple green or gunk engine degreaser like the other guy's said. You don't want all the stuff washing off onto your yard.
  6. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Thanks for the input.
  7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

easy off oven cleaner works great and cost less than degreaser. i read that in "HOT ROD" mag. a few years ago so i tried it and it worked great.
  8. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Spray simple green everywhere and hose it off. Then start the motor to let it dry.
    But do it where you do not mind the water to run off.
  9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I would degrease the motor using engine degreaser, then run the thing through a automatic carwash with a good underside blast. Worked good when my tranny line finally blew.
  10. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

I did the under carriage wash and that helped a lot below - not dripping all over. Of course most of it has become a tacky film anyway. Still need to get in the compartment and clean it good and then hit the wash again.

Thanks everyone for the input.
    Safe plowing.