1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Training Videos

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by RidetheSnowies, Sep 17, 2014.

1. RidetheSnowies

RidetheSnowies Junior Member

Does know of any good snow season safety training videos?
    We are needing ice management, snow shoveling, loader, skid steer and snow plow truck safety training videos. We have looked into the SIMA videos, however, was wondering if anyone knew of any others.

Thanks in advance.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

OSHA Requirement? I can not fathom the need for this but? No I have never seen one but could be funny to watch :p

3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The ASM (Advance Snow Manager)

ASM | CORE PRINCIPLES
    The Core Principles course is a pre-requisite for all other courses in the Advanced Snow Management program. It can be used to prepare individuals for other courses in the Advanced Snow Management program, or as a stand-alone training course for operations personnel.
    •Standardized basic safety training specific to snow
    •Simple instruction on key conditions/variables related to winter weather
    •Review of various governmental bodies and any existing regulations
    •Introduction to concepts of cycling equipment and manpower through sites consistently.
    •Insight into interpreting a site engineering plan
    •Standard review of the importance of onsite documentation of operations
    The course is constructed using best practices in adult learning to help individuals learn at their own pace.
    Run Time: Self-guided course
    Continuing Education: This course is worth 4 continuing education credits.
    Seminar Objectives
    •Identify the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed to be worn by all snow operators.
    •Inspect all snow vehicles, trailers and equipment for basic safety requirements.
    •Identify the most common vehicle and equipment impact hazards.
    •Identify the physical properties of snow that most affect snow & ice management strategies.
    •Demonstrate how to measure surface temperature for an entire site.
    •Recognize the three response strategies for clearing snow and the factors which influence these strategies.
    •Define the term, cycle time as it relates to a snow route and to site management
    •Explain how cycle time and cycle time expectation relates to resource capacity and storm response planning.
    •Identify the basic documentation procedures used in snow and ice management.

This is just one of the four training modules available. I believe it's the most comprehensive training program out there for our industry.

4. Lee Vitalone

Lee Vitalone Junior Member

Common sense is the rule of snow plowing. Don't rush, be careful of others property, and try to know where the area's to clean exist before snowfall. A good contract to protect you and the customer, and good lights for backing up.

5. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I would be very interested in seeing if anyone has good training videos for plowing too because i have a couple up and coming plowers that it would be nice if i could start teaching them.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

OSHA....Really. how they gunna grade you? You think a white hat is gunna be out there during a storm watching you plow for hours

7. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

we have to take a class every year for snow removal with certificates and all. its all about insurance. I am not 100% who makes the videos but i will try and find out. I have bin plowing for 20 years and we just started with the class requirements. The videos are funny to say the least.

8. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

There is animated software that we use at the state for when new drivers come in, for them to practice on and learn, they can get use to how the truck, breaks, turns, and handles with a blade hanging off, ect its kinda like a pilot training **** pit, i do not know if there is something similar on a smaller scale the a company could use on a basic desktop, also this is for 10 wheelers not pickups, although not sure if you set it up so that your are in a pickup truck plowing i will try to find out the name

9. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

It'd be nice if someone professional made videos on efficient plowing in lots and driveways that showed the different styles and techniques. Every video on snow plowing I seen on YouTube gets ripped to shreds in the comment section

10. superdutypsd

There is one guy from his own landscape company who has some ok how to plow videos and techniques but there just basics

11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Who's that?

12. superdutypsd

There few lanscape contractors who do youtube blogs, i can across it afew years ago when board on youtube i see if i can find a link but like i said i think it was just basic plowing tips

13. superdutypsd

14. superdutypsd

15. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Those were some good videos. That dirt monkey guys got a ton of videos. He needs to do some more on snow plowing

16. superdutypsd

Yea dirt monkey, hes real easy to get caught up in his videos alot bc he talks about all as specs of the business and seems down to earth, the other i think did and ok job and his videos i could see helping newbie, i didnt look thru dirt monkeys videos to see what else he had for snowplow im sure both those guys are probably members here maybe theyll chime in

17. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ls training puts out a pretty extensive list of training videos for all landscape and snow removal. It can get a little pricy but overall we have found it worth it.

18. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Really

OK I can see a flight sim working, BUT a program on how to plow, GET a LIFE. Just stay HOME if you can NOT drive. Next you will have robots doing your work, if there not as lazy as these people that we can not get to work!!!

19. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

http://youtu.be/pNCeJn34mq8

Is that the SIMA videos you're referring to? If not this lady has a few others regarding salt, pushers, sidewalks, and something else I think. I send my guys the sidewalk one every year. I don't think they watch it, but it's worth a shot.

Well I keep trying to edit the damn link, can't get it to show up on the phone. I'll try to hope on the computer

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCeJn34mq8

hope that helps