1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Training Employee's to Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J HIsch, Oct 30, 2004.

1. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

I am in Southern IN not much snow fall here, but we do get some. Therefore, there is not alot of snow plowers with much experience. My question is does anyone know of any sources that would help train employees or at least give them a soild understanding to properly plowing snow instead of it being a cluster on the night of the storm?

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I was recomended the videos on the SIMA site (they are like $100 each) aswell as the snowplowers handbook also on the SIMA site.

3. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

Did you purchase the video's? Where they helpful?

4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Just screen the individual. If they aren't responsible, they can easily do more damage than profit. Or try for subs who own their own equipment.

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

snowplow handbook a great tool to start with

6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

unfortunately the videos are over $100 a piece. And I don't have that kind of money right now. But everone I've ever talked to about plowing has recomended them.

7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

If you don't have the cash flow for any training material let me suggest a few things.
    Before the snow flies, have a meeting with your drivers. Explain to them how you want them to plow(draw on paper to get point across). Take them out to the trucks and show them how to attach and detach the plow. Then have them practice. Show them where all the typical parts that break are and how to repair them. Take them to all your sites and show them any hidden dangers on that site. How you want them to plow it. Where to stack the snow. All this should help them be better drivers and also give you a better ideal of their abilities.

Ray

8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Crazy Mike: I agree that $100 is alot of money, you might check ebay to see if you can find any used tapes or dvds. I learned from experience and $100 would have been a gift to avoid some of my mistakes 24 years ago. (And a few of my mistakes last winter.) Just in terms of mechanical damage not to mention losing the good faith of my clients because I was late to do their work because of my own self imposed problems.

9. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i have all the videos and do a training session once a year about 30 days or so before snow season all the tapes are good. they don't cover every thing but get the points across. i now find that i do a lot more training of my people than i ever thought i would. we have a top notch record of very few mistakes and acidents. :bluebounc

10. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I would be interested in getting some videos and the handbook. Could somebody please post SIMA's website? I typed in www.sima.com and some surf site came up.

Thanks

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

12. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

ah sima.org :rolleyes:

thanks again Boss! :waving: