1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trailer tow plug

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lazybones, Feb 17, 2003.

1. lazybones

lazybones Junior Member

Does anyone have an idea on how to protect the trailor towing plug on the rear bumper of my new f-250? I've bent the thing back a few times backing into snow and its only a matter of time before I destroy it completly. Didn't have one on my last truck.

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

take it off and zip-tie it to the frame......oh yeah i would duct tape it shut too,so it don't fill up with snow and short out the truck,,like they have for me in the past.

3. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Mine's a bit bent too. I'm not sure what to do either. I have a set of back-up lights on a home made PVC "roll bar" that I plug into the socket, gives me back up lights when I shift into reverse and a switched light too.

Maybe in the Spring I may think of something...... Maybe I can move it somewhere.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

On our 1996 we drilled the bumper and installed it there. Our new 2003 has the same crappy bracket. Cant believe Ford hasnt come up with a better bracket.

5. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I fabbed a small bumper for my F-350, made of 2 x 2 square stock and heavy angle, goes in the receiver. It protects my shiny chrome bumper as well as the trailer wiring.

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

We remove the drivers side license plate light and cut out the opening for the towplug. Gets it out of the snow no longer hangs down and is very protected.

No more crushed plugs and shorted wiring.

This is standard for all trucks we do the plugs on or relcate/replace.

Jerre

7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Do what Jerre said.

8. lazybones

lazybones Junior Member

Thanks

Jerre & CPSS,

Hey....Great idea to mount it in the bumper. I haven't looked at the bumper yet but I can't imagine that the metal is all that thick, should be fairly easy to drill and cut. Did you have to remove the bumper to make the cutout? Any tips on the installation would be appreciated.

9. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

Jerry, you want to cut a WHAT in my WHAT! :nono: A good idea, if you can handle cutting into your bumper (shudder).

10. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Sawsall and Die-grinder. Just be careful.

11. lazybones

lazybones Junior Member

Mr_Roboto
    No need to worry so much, I was refering to the rear end (bumper) on my truck.;)

12. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We used an electricians hole saw. The bumper isn't very thick. The hole took about 20 seconds to cut thru. Touched up the bare metal with cold galvanizing coumpound. ( Home Depot ) siliconed around the base of the receptical before securing with 4 Stainless Steel screws. Going to do the 2001 and 2003 this week.

13. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

mines ok

My backplow stops that from happening . Ah a $1800. solution LOL

14. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

:drinkup: :drinkup:

Back plow is great till the first time you don't have it on...LOL done that.

Wish everyone would try a $1800 solution.

We cut it with the Plasma cutter usually. Then cold galv it.

Also use the Plasma to add Back up light in the ...Gasp!!!!! Chrome Bumper.

Jerre